AOPA WELCOMES DRONE PILOTS

Of course it's a money grab!

However...

Drone pilots might prove to be an excellent pool for rebuilding GA in the future. If one of AOPA's goals is to bring more people into aviation, this might be one good way to go about it. It identifies a group of people who show an interest in flight and, in some cases, are being licensed by the FAA and starting aviation businesses. They're farther down the primrose path of becoming manned aircraft pilots than the average person off the street, and AOPA can help coax them along.

And having more money for political bribery, er, I mean lobbying, to improve regulations and address aviation issues might be a good thing, too.

If handled properly (always in doubt), this could be a good thing.

Yup. Same thing the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics, the RC airplane sanctioning body) did for RC Aircraft. They saw a whole new source of $$$ and went for it. In the process they jeopardized RC aviation because now drones (which we're getting bad press) were linked to RC aircraft in the minds of many, including the FAA. Comments to the AMA regarding this being a bad idea were shot down in flames under the guise of "including everyone"...when it was really about money.

Of course it's a money grab!

However...

Drone pilots might prove to be an excellent pool for rebuilding GA in the future. If one of AOPA's goals is to bring more people into aviation, this might be one good way to go about it. It identifies a group of people who show an interest in flight and, in some cases, are being licensed by the FAA and starting aviation businesses. They're farther down the primrose path of becoming manned aircraft pilots than the average person off the street, and AOPA can help coax them along.

And having more money for political bribery, er, I mean lobbying, to improve regulations and address aviation issues might be a good thing, too.

If handled properly (always in doubt), this could be a good thing.
It would be amazing if aopa took that approach. Unfortunately they will most likely stop after cashing the check.

Be nice if the drone pilots can be integrated in GA,thinking that for aopa it's all about the money.

Be nice if the drone pilots can be integrated in GA,thinking that for aopa it's all about the money.

Yeah, but even if AOPA does NOTHING explicit, this will still draw folks in. Remember - it's roping a heard of people who already like shiny flying objects and are interested in flying them. They'll start reading AOPA pubs, getting AOPA fliers and emails, maybe get interested and show up at a fly-in, talk to some pilots, etc., etc. They start to think of flying real planes as something achievable and fun. Next thing they know, they're hooked.

It's sorta like selling 'em a joint. Before long they're snorting coke, even if you never explicitly marketed it to them.

Damn, man. Everyone complains that AOPA has been going too up-market and is losing it's grip on the little guy. Then, when they do something to focus on the little guy, they complain that it's just a money grab!

Don't know how cashing a check is helping the little guy.....

Being a drone "pilot" does not make you an actual pilot... not to be mean, but flying a drone (of any kind) does not make you an actual pilot

Yup. Same thing the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics, the RC airplane sanctioning body) did for RC Aircraft. They saw a whole new source of $$$ and went for it. In the process they jeopardized RC aviation because now drones (which we're getting bad press) were linked to RC aircraft in the minds of many, including the FAA. Comments to the AMA regarding this being a bad idea were shot down in flames under the guise of "including everyone"...when it was really about money.
With all due respect, this is ridiculous. The AMA is the academy of model aeronautics, and drones are model aircraft. It's their mission to promote the hobby. To assert that the AMA should have shunned them is just not defensible. In fact, drones are the only growth area of model aviation. P.S. I'm an AMA member since 1989, and have never owned something that one would classify a drone.

As for AOPA, I can easily see how this can be cast as a money grab, but who cares. The FAA considers model aviators as airmen now (rightly or wrongly), so why not. If it increases exposure to GA, that can only be a good thing.

Clearly a membership grab.

I can see Drone Pilot magazine followed by a dues increase.

Being a drone "pilot" does not make you an actual pilot... not to be mean, but flying a drone (of any kind) does not make you an actual pilot

Oh, come on. There's nothing that ties the word "pilot" exclusively to manned aircraft. Long before Wilbur and Orville, pilots were steering boats across harbors.

If you are at the controls of an airplane, you're an airplane pilot.

If you're at the controls of a drone, you're a drone pilot.

If you're steering a paddle wheeler up the Mississippi, you're a riverboat pilot.

If you're a trial episode of a new sitcom, you're a TV pilot.

Don't get hung up on the word.

Yeah, but even if AOPA does NOTHING explicit, this will still draw folks in. Remember - it's roping a heard of people who already like shiny flying objects and are interested in flying them. They'll start reading AOPA pubs, getting AOPA fliers and emails, maybe get interested and show up at a fly-in, talk to some pilots, etc., etc. They start to think of flying real planes as something achievable and fun. Next thing they know, they're hooked.

It's sorta like selling 'em a joint. Before long they're snorting coke, even if you never explicitly marketed it to them.

that.

Besides we should be welcoming UAS folks, I mean the more they are around is the more they'll understand aviation and we'll understand UAS, and that's good for all parties.

Like it or not drones are becoming a part of GA. Sure they're not "real" planes and the people flying them are not "real pilots" but I see no problem more formally bringing drone folks into the GA community. As was pointed out the next generation of "real pilots" will likely in large part start with people that start out flying drones.

People lament the "death of GA" and then freak out when GA has a lot of new members coming into the fold. You can't make this stuff up.

I am a member of the 99s. Apparently a meeting was held recently about whether to accept drone pilots into the organization. They voted "no."

I am a member of the 99s. Apparently a meeting was held recently about whether to accept drone pilots into the organization. They voted "no."

Well, the 99s aren't exactly known for inclusiveness or diversity. They've been excluding people based on gender since they started.

Frankly, I'm surprised you'd associate yourself with such a hate-filled misandristic group.

Well, the 99s aren't exactly known for inclusiveness or diversity. They've been excluding people based on gender since they started.

Frankly, I'm surprised you'd associate yourself with such a hate-filled misandristic group.

:rolleyes:

I hope that was tongue-in-cheek. The 99s are a great organization which promotes and supports women in aviation. As long as women are underrepresented, it makes sense to promote them. Same goes for BPA (Black Pilots of America).
If you love aviation, as hopefully most here do, you should enjoy being able to share the experience with all groups and support efforts to promote it among the underrepresented parts of society. Plus, women pilots are cool. :)

I don't see a problem with it.

I've been a private pilot for three years and just added my UAS certificate to do commercial drone work (I have a video production business). And there's a lot of overlap between operating a drone properly and flying an airplane. You have to know airspace. You have to pay close attention to wind and weather. You have to know the regulations. You have to communicate with the airport manager and/or control tower when you're within 5 miles of an airport (which is where most of my shoots happen).

It has the potential to help more drone operators take their flying more seriously. That's a good thing. And I agree drones could be a gateway drug for some future pilots :)

Smart move by the AOPA.

According to the certificate behind the other three certs in my wallet, I am a remote PILOT, so it does make one a actual pilot per the Feds. If you want to pick nits, many old timers don't consider trikes real airplanes ether.

image.jpg

Back