AOPA Webboard down for 4-6 weeks on April 11th

Eamon said:
I just saw Spam-A-Lot on B-Way............................. I Highly Reccomend it to anyone who knows the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow
What do you mean? African or European?

Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!

Re: AOPA Webboard referral to PoA?

I took the liberty of suggesting to Robert that AOPA consider including links to PoA and other aviation related webboards on the page that the current webboard URL takes you to. I realize this may bring some posters that may have a not so sterling reputation, but this is a public "welcome forum" at least to the pilot community. My main concern is that infrequent AOPA webboard users may try to "pop in" during the hiatus and have no way to find PoA.

In Robert's reply he said he would take it to his boss, but made no promises beyond that.

-lance

Henning said:
Well, actually, I don't particularly want them at all regardless their bias and typically stay uninvolved. However, whenever a balancing counterpoint is brought up on AOPA's board there is typically a harangue shelled out. My primary objection is the clutter on the board. I really could care less what political/religious bias anyone has, everyone is entitled to their's.

Henning. I agree. I need to try that Bourbon Dan C. was crowing about. Sigh. Or get on one of your sail boats. Anyway, you can always count on me to be civilized and respectful of your views.

Henning said:
"Moderating" would be a lot more effective if you could shoot a lightning bolt out of peoples monitors....:zap!: :dance: :zap!: :zap!: :zap!: :cool:
In one of my other forum administrative roles, I got compared a lot to Kevin from Kevin and Kell. This is a rather wierd online comic based on an animal world where Kevin is a rabbit (who married a wolf) who's job is moderating an online forum (the Herbivore forum)...

This is what his job was like...
kk19950908.gif

Somedays I really wish I had commands like these...
kk19951127.gif

kk19951211.gif

Oh, yes, and the REALLY important criteria for picking assistant moderators:
kk19960124.gif

Ha! Those are great - can't believe I've never seen it before! the "kill" strip is a good one. I always thought that "kill -9" was pretty weak...need something like "kill /with_extreme_prejudice" :)

Brian Austin said:
Besides, I distinctly remember a few of the more prevalent posters over there ridiculing our approach here at PoA. That would be rather hypocritical of them to show up now, don't you think? ;)

Brian - I've been looking at this site, and have thought about joining. In one of your other posts (or perhaps one from Chuck), it was stated that everyone was welcome here, regardless of past reputations.

And then I read the above quote from you, and suddenly feel very UNwelcome.

You have the power to hurt or to heal. Your choice, Brian.

Phil

Phil,

If you are offended by a reference that Brian made to unnamed people's statements and feel that this reference applies to you - then yes - you may not feel welcome here.

But I suspect that you are welcome anyway as long as you adhere to the guidelines (same rules for everyone).

Phil Kriley said:
And then I read the above quote from you, and suddenly feel very UNwelcome. Phil

OK. Everyone starts fresh here. Leave the BAGGAGE behind. We do, do politics but we won't tolerate personal references or what was in the past "Jack Kilpatrick and Shana Alexander". We don't do that.

The rules apply to everyone. The need to enforce the published rules has been small, but the six of us have been in agreement when enforcement is needed. But, we're not going to let that need get big. No How. No Way. It's nice over here. :)

Phil Kriley said:
And that's a response I was hoping for. Thanks, Bruce.

That's doesn't mean you won't get razzed for having a Mouse. :)

Brian Austin said:
Besides, I distinctly remember a few of the more prevalent posters over there ridiculing our approach here at PoA. That would be rather hypocritical of them to show up now, don't you think? ;)
Phil Kriley said:
Brian - I've been looking at this site, and have thought about joining. In one of your other posts (or perhaps one from Chuck), it was stated that everyone was welcome here, regardless of past reputations.

And then I read the above quote from you, and suddenly feel very UNwelcome.

You have the power to hurt or to heal. Your choice, Brian.

Phil,

I can certainly understand how you might feel the above reference included you, although personally I don't include you in the group he's referencing. I recall some of the more spiteful lies made by some people about our efforts - but I don't recall any of them coming from you. Being human, it would be foolish to pretend that some of those remarks didn't hurt on some level, regardless of how false they were.

But still, Brian's remark does come somewhat near the personal remark boundary - and for that, I apologize. For his offense, Brian will be taken out behind the servershed and whipped. However, we'll only use a wet noodle this time, being his first offense and all...

We do hope that you'll feel welcome here. We are serious about our commitment to treat everyone equally, based on what they do here and no-where else. Nobody's history elsewhere is relevant to how we do things here, nor are any personal likes or dislikes or past grudges.

So welcome, Phil! Glad to have you here with us. :)

Gentlemen,

Lets not allow this thread to degrade to bickering, please.

:) Now everyone get their marshmallows and graham crackers, we're gonna sing Kum By Ya and then make S'mores!

Anthony - no problem. Us low-wing guys gotta stick to gether anyway! LOL!

Greebo said:
Gentlemen,

Lets not allow this thread to degrade to bickering, please.

:) Now everyone get their marshmallows and graham crackers, we're gonna sing Kum By Ya and then make S'mores!

Now I'm offended and feel unwelcome! So are only gentlemen allowed to post now?

Missa
and I wanted S'mores... Sniff...

:D Kidding.... Had to get you back for the contact remark! :rofl:

Greebo said:
I recall some of the more spiteful lies made by some people about our efforts

Wow... I didn't know there was any politics on the AOPA board about someone starting another board. (I had been away from the AOPA board for a LOOOOONG time, and signed back on to find it was closing temporarily.) Glad I missed it. I don't feel anything BUT welcome here (though I hardly think I was ever a controversial poster on the AOPA boards).

--
Alan Davis
Commercial Pilot Airplane Single and Multiengine Land
Instrument Airplane
CFII (Newly Minted)

Back