AOPA vs CBP

bahama flier

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
bahama flier
Looks like AOPA has heard enough complaints from GA pilots to realize these stops and searches are becoming commonplace, and the complaints are real and searches were baseless.

The AOPA President has asked the FAA Commissioner to stop them ASAP.

We will see...

Looks like AOPA has heard enough complaints from GA pilots to realize these stops and searches are becoming commonplace, and the complaints are real and searches were baseless.

The AOPA President has asked the FAA Commissioner to stop them ASAP.

We will see...

You mean CBP Commissioner? FAA has no dog in that fight.

Does the FAA Commisioner have any power over them other than "asking"?

You mean CBP Commissioner? FAA has no dog in that fight.

Knowing AOPA, they're asking the FAA, and that'll be their claim that they're doing something, and send more money.

Who actually controls CBP ? Will probably take an act of congress.

If AOPA stops the CBP I'll rejoin AOPA.:lol:

Knowing AOPA, they're asking the FAA, and that'll be their claim that they're doing something, and send more money.

Or the OP got it wong. "AOPA tells CBP commissioner to end GA stops" reads the headline on the AOPA home page.

there's a growing interest in the CBP not merely aviation. The latest is a fatal shooting that's just coming to light after a year or so. Seems that the CBP has a long history of stonewalling, no transparency, etc.

For the record, CBP brlongs to DHS. Why are we not surprised?

and CBP is the second largest law enforcement organization in the US. The first is the NYC police dept.

Last edited:
I always wanted to know the answer to the question too . . .

"What jurisdiction does CBP have to conduct a roving stop of an aircraft?"

It's illegal to do so for vehicles. . . .

Cause you know, AOPA 'calling on CBP to stop the detentions' will do the trick. Just like Obama tweeting the Russians out of the Ukraine . . .

Bad Donut.

Does the FAA Commisioner have any power over them other than "asking"?
Would be hard as the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) has an administrator and not a commissioner (as in, you need a commission like the Securities and Exchange Commission to have a Commissioner (or law enforcement agency)).

http://www.faa.gov/about/key_officials/huerta/

Last edited:
When you pay people to treat Citizens like the enemy...

I didn't realize until a few years ago that the USA Patriot act was actually an acronym:

Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate ToolsRequired to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act.

I like my version better:

Undressing Stupid Americans and Pansies at Airports with Tyrants Raping Itinerants Openly at Terminals.

Society is weird. People die far more often and in far greater numbers from things far more easily preventable than terrorism.... and yet where is all the fear, all the focus, and all the money going?

It's silly and embarrassing.

Society is weird. People die far more often and in far greater numbers from things far more easily preventable than terrorism.... and yet where is all the fear, all the focus, and all the money going?

Yep...

Plus what stops someone from just blowing themselves up in an uber long TSA screening line?

Instead I guess GA is a huge terror threat which is why we need sporting event TFRs and CBP armed assaults.

Last edited:
The smell of freedom nauseates Homeland Security.

Not that sinister, IMHO, but the end result of pragmatics:

Freedom is one of just many obstructions to getting their job done with the least amount of effort. Freedom curtailed or denied is optimum. This rule is universally true for all human entities, public and private. Freedom of human actions other than one's own adds difficulties to everyone's life. Hence, freedom has billions of enemies and, on a rare day, billions of friends.

Had a moron try to kill me and him both on the road tonight, and yet we believe that government issues "driver's licenses" effectively.

The actual terrorism gets done by people that the authorities knew or should have known about, that were being monitored, that were fully vetted, that went through all of the security measures in place, so the anti-terrorism efforts go into hassling random citizens with no record or evidence whatsoever. You know. "We look here because the light is better."

The actual terrorism gets done by people that the authorities knew or should have known about, that were being monitored, that were fully vetted, that went through all of the security measures in place, so the anti-terrorism efforts go into hassling random citizens with no record or evidence whatsoever. You know. "We look here because the light is better."

It's like a lot of other things in government. If they truly fixed the problem, they'd be out of business pretty quick. Better to do ineffective things and let the problem linger.

Back