AOPA VREF

My experience of Vref is that it is generally 5-10% under the current market. I have bought and sold 2 airplanes in the last year, one for 109k and another for 210k and found this to be accurate. It may be different for planes greater than 250k but I don' t know.

... If a plane passes annual, how is it possible to need 18k in repairs the following year? Aren't annuals under some sort of regulation on wear limits/rules/time on what is considered airworthy or not?
Different owners have different ideas on what is acceptable with a plane. Mechanics USUALLY agree (there are definite exceptions) on what makes a plane airworthy (which is the point of an annual). Acceptable and airworthy are completely different. As an easy example, a plane can be airworthy without any working radios, but you most likely consider radios a requirement.

VRef is a good starting point as long as there's enough volume. But there's variation in the market on both the seller and buyer sides influenced by personal preferences, financial conditions, interest, and suitability. That's what ultimately sets the price.

VRef is a good starting point as long as there's enough volume. But there's variation in the market on both the seller and buyer sides influenced by personal preferences, financial conditions, interest, and suitability. That's what ultimately sets the price.
Not to mention the fact that I don't know how they'd ever know the final sales price accurately.

I am not advoacating paying $300K for a $200K airplane.

But if you are looking at a number of planes and one stands out TO YOU and FOR YOU, paying more for that plane than another one is likely the smartest path.

Not to mention the fact that I don't know how they'd ever know the final sales price accurately.
There is an option to report the sales price. Not sure how many do that, but I suspect not many.

There is an option to report the sales price. Not sure how many do that, but I suspect not many.
Agreed. Highly unlikely that AOPA has any better data other than what they scour from asking prices from various online sources. They may get some data from larger brokerage places if they have some sort of agreement, but I doubt it.

Back