AOPA Vref - base good?

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
Ok, so I know there are problems with vref.

But is the base price good? So if you give model, total time and smoh, is the base price without adjustments a good price for an all around average plane?

insert rant tag here.

The reason I'm wondering is that I know vref is driven by sales. But then I see aircraft priced way, way above that base price and I cannot find a rational reason why other than a seller trying to get the best price possible. While I can respect that, some of the ones I see are so far over the rational price that you can't even start a negotiation to get back to what is reasonable. So the seller is losing out.

I especially see this with ragged out engines not being priced into the number. I get that you've done some speed mods and you're real pleased with this aircraft, but an airplane with an engine at TBO cannot be worth 2x the blue book price no matter how good the avionics are.

/rant

I dunno. I did a Vref for a flying, in annual, Piper Aztec with the engines at TBO and got a Vref value of -88,000.

Ok, so I know there are problems with vref...then I see aircraft priced way, way above that base price...some of the ones I see are so far over the rational price...

I especially see this with ragged out engines not being priced into the number. I get that you've done some speed mods and you're real pleased with this aircraft, but an airplane with an engine at TBO cannot be worth 2x the blue book price no matter how good the avionics are.

/rant

For Cessna SE the past year, asking has been 25-50% higher than VREF on the "old" tool. For some models, like a 206, you may as well forget what VREF says cause it is at least 2x that, in asking.

Like I told my friends, 3 years ago I could buy an '80s model. Now? a '60s model is where I'd be able to buy without a loan. I've just seen a '62 182 come to market with old radios and fresh engine asking $135k. I'm out!

AOPA has an agenda for everything, including aircraft prices for big name old iron.
AOPA has a lot of broken links, and bad information on it's Website.
AOPA: Use at your own risk.

The most common justification I see is “ engine only has 500 SMOH runs great and uses no oil “ then you dig deeper and find out the “OH” was in 1975 and it’s flown 10 hours a year. Seems airplane prices are out of control right now. I suppose as long as there is one sucker out there they will sell eventually. When they do and the only thing worth value in a 1970 airplane craps the bed they will become ramp queens destined to never fly again.

I dunno. I did a Vref for a flying, in annual, Piper Aztec with the engines at TBO and got a Vref value of -88,000.

That's a good trick.

Did the base price without adjustments seem reasonable?

I have noticed that trying to apply amortization to certain things is broken. But I'm not going to amortize someone else's stuff.

AOPA has an agenda for everything, including aircraft prices for big name old iron.
AOPA has a lot of broken links, and bad information on it's Website.
AOPA: Use at your own risk.

Is vref run by aopa?

I take their use of it as trying to help make the purchasing market more efficient, thus having more members who are airplane owners. They're fertilizing their customer base.

As in, "You give me $88k and I will take it off your hands..."???

Dayam!! :(

-88 is an extreme but 8,800 wouldn’t be. By the time you spend the 100k+ for two engine overhauls and props you would be upside down in it.

I tried the new AOPA v ref format, prices didn’t seem realistic,wasn't happy.

The new vref tries to do too much and ends up being close to useless.
I'll just put it out there...I'll take ANY Aztec or other airplane off someone's hands if they'll give me $88,000. Any takers...?

Back