AOPA Safety Seminar Northbrook IL March 10

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Robbie Culver (955)
Any of the Chicago-area folks planning on attending the AOPA Safety Seminar next Monday March 10th?

I plan on being there and figured I'd see if anyone else is to put faces to names and say Hi.

As usual, I plan on attending.

What's the subject up there?

Two topics actually. The first is the use of treadmills to shorten take off distances. The second is how to properly transition class D airspace. :D:D;)

As long as they make the AOPA endorsement of John McCain short and pithy I'll go. I can only tolerate so much.

Two topics actually. The first is the use of treadmills to shorten take off distances. The second is how to properly transition class D airspace. :D:D;)
That's pretty cool. Part of my technical interview for a CFI job was teaching forces during a climbing turn upon departure from a conveyor.

:D

I wuz dere. Where wuz you?

They always hold these things in that hotel, even when it was a different chain, and they NEVER HAVE ENOUGH PARKING SPOTS. There were 20 cars circling the hotel endlessly looking for a space. Me being a city kid, I parked on the street and others followed me.

The room was overcrowded and all the chairs were gone. Once again Mr. Outta-da-box started the conga line getting chairs from the empty room across the hall.

It was good presentation. I noticed that a) Aeronautical Decision making is (WAS!) one of the topics of the year on the FAA FAAST program and b) the scenarios presented werer THE SAME ONES they have in the online course. :dunno:

Thanks to the FAA thoughly screwing up the Wings program you no longer can get a ground school credit on site. You have to indicate you want a certificate mailed to you. We'll see how that works.

In effect this change removes any incentives to attend these seminars, other than personal growth and knowlege. As is the wont, they penalize the good pilots who show up at these things who aren't the source of the problems.

I still intend to forget about Wings, which I used to do every year, and just get my BFR every 2nd year. Another great success for the adminstrator. :no:

There's gonna be another ASF seminar at the NATCA meeting near O'Hare at the end of the month. Maybe we can meet some controllers there.

We were in the back row, far corner by the hangars that someone quite nicely kept rattling through the entire seminar.

Unfortunately, this was the exact same video and seminar given a year or so ago. I stuck it out for the WINGS credit.

The presenter made some really basic errors also, such as telling us the currency for landings and takeoffs was 6 months....hmm....no CFI here, but I swear its 90 days....

Anyhow - yup, the place was jammed again, the parking is always a problem, and those chairs are downright painful.

But it was good to have dinner with the boys and yak about flying all evening....

Back