AOPA Rusty Pilot Seminar PIREP (TLDR/long version)

CharlieD3

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CharlieD3
TLDR:

$79/Free for AOPA members.

Materials provided, including pens (but bring a notebook)

Coffee, maybe donuts

3+- Hour seminar Power Point with breakout sessions. 15 minute break in the middle.

> 6 months of rust? Worthwhile IMO

Long version:

So, I joined AOPA specifically for the Rusty Pilot seminar (it's free to AOPA members, $79 for non-members). There's a discount on the membership when you first enroll, so it cost me less to get a membership than to buy the seminar. After mixed reviews on POA, we'll see if I renew.

Seminar Pirep:
2.5 hour drive to Spartanburg Downtown Memorial Airport (KSPA).

Seminar held in the terminal (of a NICE airport)

29 pre-registered attendees (most came, if not more)

Terminal seating (nice, comfortable chairs) and steel folding chairs (not usually comfortable, but they did have cushions which made them fine for a 3 hour seminar).

Materials provided including pens. But, bring a notebook or scratch pad for copying clearances and other notes. The materials provided are nicely done; professionally printed, not copies or mimeo sheets (showing my age, there).

Coffee! Donuts!

Attendance is logable as ground instruction, and you are provided a logbook entry sticker signed off by instructor.

Content:

Fly a fictional 2 legged XC. check METARS, TAFS, NOTAMS, test ADM, look at airspace types, and check aircraft documentation, copy clearances on takeoff and en route.

Presentation is done through a decent Power Point style presentation, with embedded videos/audio clips. Some actual radio communication and some re-enacted (guess which is easy to understand).

There's a break in the middle of 15 minutes...

Basic Med is covered, briefly.

EFBs are covered, briefly. But the Sectional chart portions needed for the "flight" at included in the materials.

I participated by sharing my wait for SI, and strongly recommending that those out of medical consult with an AME before their actual AME visit.

You will see about 5 minutes of sponsor advertising at the beginning.

This is basic stuff, folks. But for those of us who have been away from a yoke for more than a bit... it's a great refresher.

I found it worth the drive and would recommend it to any rusty pilot (you determine the extent of your oxidization and decide whether you're "rusty" or not).

Now, I'll check out 2 nearby (1 hour away) flying clubs comparing costs and aircraft availability, and go get some instruction.

I Will Fly Again

I did the same thing about 4 years ago.

Started flying again about 2 1/2 years ago and haven't looked back.

I flew from Bedford MA to Nantucket on Saturday morning for the Christmas stroll, then flew back Saturday afternoon. With out a small airplane this would have required driving to Hyannis or Woods Hole, a 2+ hour drive plus a 1 or so hour ferry ride and wait times. Instead it took me about 40 minutes. I had a good time at the stroll, then made it back in time for a 6:30 dinner date that night. Gotta love GA.

I attended one of these presented by Mark Boguski a few days ago in Spartanburg, SC. He did a great job and I can see how useful these are to anyone who hasn't flown in a few years.

upload_2019-12-9_11-40-19.png

upload_2019-12-9_11-41-9.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-12-9_11-39-18.png
    upload_2019-12-9_11-39-18.png
    363.8 KB · Views: 6
I recently attended one too.
My 2 cents.... the instructor was really good. Material as solid....
I'm thankful for it and happy I did it.
..and as designed it has redoubled my interest (hence my activity here...)

That said, it's really just what I'd expect from sitting down with any CFI for a BFR.
I would have liked a bit more focus on the rusty part.
as you said....basic med was only briefly touched.
ditto all the 'new' ipad stuff....

I haven't been solidly current since 2003. A lot has changed that was barely touched...and a lot that was covered I'm still reasonably up to speed with....and I'd imagine that any CFI I go to do the airwork portion for a BFR and rental checkout is going to work through that stuff with me again anyway, even if only to verify.

Anyway
as I said, I'm glad I did it.
and I would recommend it to others for sure.
but I would add don't wait for one to come to you. If you want to get back, go find a local CFI

I attended one of these presented by Mark Boguski a few days ago in Spartanburg, SC. He did a great job and I can see how useful these are to anyone who hasn't flown in a few years.

View attachment 80662

View attachment 80663
I seed you there... Incognito, in the back, in one of those "easy chairs."

Gosh, I was "that close" to a POAer... And we didn't introduce ourselves... Shame on us.

I seed you there... Incognito, in the back, in one of those "easy chairs."

Gosh, I was "that close" to a POAer... And we didn't introduce ourselves... Shame on us.
Well dang, that really does suck. Sorry we didn't make the connection and get a pic.

Well dang, that really does suck. Sorry we didn't make the connection and get a pic.
Well, that means we're reasonably nearby... We'll meet. Sooner or later... Are you going to the rough river fly in in KY this spring? I'm gonna try... Get current and flying again by then... I hope.

Thanks for the report. FWIW, a local clinic was really put off by the "Rusty Pilots" seminar name and its association with with BasicMed. The idea of a bunch of "Rusty Pilots" going through a couple hour seminar, getting signed off by their doctors, and getting back in the air was one factor leading them to not do BasicMed.

As an AOPA Member, anytime they have one of these nearby, I sign up. Good info, well presented, get to shoot the s*** with other pilots and (usually) check out another airport.

Cheers

Well, that means we're reasonably nearby... We'll meet. Sooner or later... Are you going to the rough river fly in in KY this spring? I'm gonna try... Get current and flying again by then... I hope.
I see you're in TN, so we are reasonably close. I've presented an "Engine Failure After Takeoff" in north Georgia and South Carolina several times over the past six months. We'll probably be doing it in Atlanta again in January. The announcements get sent out by FAAST (spans). If you're close enough, you should see the announcement in your email.

Thanks for the report. FWIW, a local clinic was really put off by the "Rusty Pilots" seminar name and its association with with BasicMed. The idea of a bunch of "Rusty Pilots" going through a couple hour seminar, getting signed off by their doctors, and getting back in the air was one factor leading them to not do BasicMed.
So... All I gotta do is go to one of these and go fly? Hardly.

Most of these "rusty" pilots need a periodic flight review... "Biennial" fer us codgers.

Now, I s'pose if I had a good friend CFI, he'd just sign me off... I don't need that kind of friend...

Many of em needed to get a third class before they could get back in the left seat again.

So, what was the clinics beef? And what kind of clinic?

So... All I gotta do is go to one of these and go fly? Hardly.

I understand. You understand. But the general public hears the term "rusty pilot" and some think of a barely coherent guy who hasn't touched controls in 20 years, and might become a smoking hole in the side of their house.

Anyway, I'm not complaining, just adding a data point about the perception of the phrase. It was a family practice clinic, and they declined to offer BasicMed due to perceived liability, and the idea that people who were really not qualified for a medical and/or to fly a plane might slide in under BasicMed.

I understand. You understand. But the general public hears the term "rusty pilot" and some think of a barely coherent guy who hasn't touched controls in 20 years, and might become a smoking hole in the side of their house.

Anyway, I'm not complaining, just adding a data point about the perception of the phrase. It was a family practice clinic, and they declined to offer BasicMed due to perceived liability, and the idea that people who were really not qualified for a medical and/or to fly a plane might slide in under BasicMed.
Ahh... I see now... All them old duffers flyin' their Piper Cubs into houses and landin' on golf courses and such.. Why, it's a hazard to humanity... Why caint they jes go play pinochle over to the home?

Bah... Them whippersnappers don't know nuttin anymore... Nohow.

Back