AOPA PPS

Cykoguy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Cykoguy
Long story short my dad fought with the FAA for several years to get a medical and finally received a Third Class SI for sleep apnea and heart disease. He worked with an instructor to get current again since he had not flown in 30 years and logged one hour of PIC. Then he received a letter from OKC again saying his medical is suspended and he needs to redo everything he just did to get the SI. Our confusion is A. What is their justification for sending this? B. The SI says it can be revoked within 60 days of issuance (or something similar to that) but the letter was sent around 90 days after issuance.

He has worked with the AME who did his exams who apparently talked to his FAA "boss" and the best he could come back with is he can take it up with some manager or get a lawyer for harassment.

Which finally leads me to my question. Does anyone have any experience with AOPA Pilot Protective Services especially when dealing with medical issues?

Contact Dr Bruce Chien.
aeromedicaldoc.com

You're probably past the point where AOPA can do anything. It's just a reference, not an advocate.

PPS coached me through the process of getting my heart-related SI. I'm a very happy customer. The PPS add-on includes medical and legal assistance so it should be a good resource for your pop's issue.

Contact Dr Bruce Chien.
aeromedicaldoc.com

You're probably past the point where AOPA can do anything. It's just a reference, not an advocate.

That was my other suggestion to him but I believe Dr Chien wants to be involved from the beginning so he may or may not help.

Good news! He worked with PPS and after they reviewed the letter they were able to determine that he is not actually grounded but does need to comply with their request or they will suspend him.

Back