AOPA Keep'em flying challenge -> Compensation?

I would say get off my lawn but I'm not that old.

You two will one day miss being young. Trust me, no "booo"s about it.

Not. They're not paying for you to fly passengers or cargo for hire. They're not compensating you. All they're saying is that if you say you did those tasks in an airplane (honor system) they'll enter you into some drawing.
Agreed. And you can bet AOPA did their homework before they launched this -- the minimum age and $2499 (not $2500) first prize smack of staying within some legal boundaries.

Cool, I can do five hours, I already did one cross country.

I wonder if it counts as "two" though? (The flight there was over 50 and the flight back was over 50).

So does "five airports" mean "five different airports"? If yes, then I can count my home airport, Petaluma, only once. Which means I have done:

Boonville

Petaluma

And now need to do three more. Or maybe four more if I'm wrong.

If Petaluma counts only once, I have to do three more unique cross countries. If it counts every time, I can just go to Boonville two more times.

Maybe I should just read the Official Rules and see what that says.

Last edited:
Cool, I can do five hours, I already did one cross country.

I wonder if it counts as "two" though? (The flight there was over 50 and the flight back was over 50).

So does "five airports" mean "five different airports"? If yes, then I can count my home airport, Petaluma, only once. Which means I have done:

Boonville

Petaluma

And now need to do three more. Or maybe four more if I'm wrong.

If Petaluma counts only once, I have to do three more unique cross countries. If it counts every time, I can just go to Boonville two more times.

Maybe I should just read the Official Rules and see what that says.

It looks like you have to go to 5 destinations that are over 50 miles from the originating airport, but you have another 3 months to get it done.

It looks like you have to go to 5 destinations that are over 50 miles from the originating airport, but you have another 3 months to get it done.

LOL you don't know my finances. So the question is, then, does Petaluma (home airport) count, since when I go away, it is 50 miles to get back to Petaluma? Also, do each of the airports listed (5 total) have to be unique?

LOL you don't know my finances. So the question is, then, does Petaluma (home airport) count, since when I go away, it is 50 miles to get back to Petaluma? Also, do each of the airports listed (5 total) have to be unique?

"Fly in an aircraft serving as pilot in command to five airports or destinations that are more than 50 nautical miles from the immediately preceding departure point."

After rereading it, it looks like you can count each leg and they don't have to be unique. Though you do have to log at least 5 hours, total, in that time.

Hey, I'm looking forward to participating, and I think that Leslie will be able to too! Before the end of July we should have as destinations from 1C5 (Chicago/Bolingbrook) at least KRYV (Watertown, WI), KLOM (Philadelphia, PA), KMGY (Dayton, OH) and KBMI (Bloomington, IL), and hopefully 3M0 (Gaston's, AR). That just leaves at most one more for both of us! That gives us twice the chance of winning as most of you! LOL :^)

But, since I tend to fly outbound, we'll need to check the rules carefully! Actually, I just did, and it didn't say that the destinations needed to be unique!

One thing that I really like, even though it doesn't apply to us, is... "even if the instructor is being compensated and the flight will be creditable to both the instructor and the student." So there's no disincentive to fly with an instructor!

Back