AOPA is slacking a bit....

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
It seems AOPA is a few weeks behind schedule, aren't they? Unless I am remembering incorrectly, wasn't the AOPA webboard supposed to be back in early May?

I love PoA, but I'd like to have both!

I don't even remember when AOPA went down and was supposed to be back, but man, I have enough trouble keeping up with just one message board - I don't think I could handle both!!

NickDBrennan said:
It seems AOPA is a few weeks behind schedule, aren't they? Unless I am remembering incorrectly, wasn't the AOPA webboard supposed to be back in early May?

I love PoA, but I'd like to have both!

I'm not convinced they're going to put it back on line.

I really like this one and the job the guys have done here. And almost
all the people from AOPA are here now .. so what AOPA does is probably
irrelevant. Between POA and Babes I have two class boards to choose
from.

BillG said:
I don't even remember when AOPA went down and was supposed to be back

Disconnected Apr 11
Six weeks is May 23 (monday)

The link keeps saying it'll be back but it wouldn't surprise me if it stays down longer for whatever reasons.
I do miss the supply of new pilots that AOPA could generate on a regular basis. That doesn't seem to be happening here very much.

I chatted with Robert about two weeks ago and this came up. Last I heard, the lawyers are still discussing policy. I got the sense that he wasn't too thrilled with the speed at which things were progressing, but he seemed confident that they WERE progressing.

I know that AOPA will be launching a big ad campaign to promote the new webboard, to bring in new blood. How posting will be monitored and/or regulated is still being discussed. It may even end up being a fully moderated board (i.e.: posts need approval), although I don't personally think AOPA will commit the resources needed to do that.

Course now if AOPA ever wanted to partner with PoA and delegate the operation to us, hey, we'd be willing to listen. :) I mean, Starbucks did it!

I was actually wondering how many people missed it? was it a habit easily broken? it's nice to see everyone over here. will be interesting to see what the new one looks like.

I think that I agree. Who needs AOPA for web forums anymore?

On the other hand, I think that they should partner with POA and host an AOPA forum here (with a little cash to help the site operate). I think there's value to having a forum ABOUT AOPA someplace.

MSmith said:
I think that I agree.
I don't.

AOPA has money and manpower resources and media for getting the word out to new pilots about informational sources that we'll never hope to have.

It would be great if AOPA chose to partner with us as their official recommended forum or something - but I doubt they'd make such an offer (too bad :) ) - but we live in an internet world, and AOPA SHOULD have a message board of some sort, because that webboard is easy to get to for new pilots who are looking for more information than they are getting at their little grass strip podunk airport in Nowhere Village.

AOPA has signs and cards up at EVERY airport I've ever been to. They run or sponsor beapilot.com - they run tv ads and newspaper ads.

New pilots in need of information and help will go there before they ever hear of us, so AOPA needs a forum for questions and information...even if it won't be us. :)

Greebo said:
Course now if AOPA ever wanted to partner with PoA and delegate the operation to us, hey, we'd be willing to listen. :) I mean, Starbucks did it!

That's not a bad idea. Or at least they should include you guys in
the planning process. You managed to create in short order a
very nice message board where it seems everyone conducts themselves
fairly well .. even in the political posts. I'm puzzled why my membership
fees over there are spent on lawyers just to set up a message board.

woodstock said:
I was actually wondering how many people missed it? was it a habit easily broken?

I miss it - But only because I could read it via e-mail, which I can't do here, which means I can only check in about every other week. :(

However, the habit was pretty easily broken 'cuz I'm now the treasurer of my flying club and I've been busy bringing our accounting system into the 90's! ;-)

Kent
PP-ASEL, KMSN

flyingcheesehead said:
I miss it - But only because I could read it via e-mail, which I can't do here, which means I can only check in about every other week.
I'm glad you mentioned this, Kent. One of the things which slipped off my radar is trying to improve the subscription system to send the entire contents rather than just a subject line with a link.

Greebo said:
I don't.

AOPA has money and manpower resources and media for getting the word out to new pilots about informational sources that we'll never hope to have.

AOPA has signs and cards up at EVERY airport I've ever been to. They run or sponsor beapilot.com - they run tv ads and newspaper ads.

New pilots in need of information and help will go there before they ever hear of us, so AOPA needs a forum for questions and information...even if it won't be us. :)

I have the same issue with the Babes. The newbies just don't usually find us. They do find their way to AOPA however. AOPA needs to have a message board running.... a good message board. :blowingkisses:

Back