AOPA interviews the candidates on GA issues

I don't believe that anyone, AOPA included, wants aviation stances to be a litmus test for candidates. Single-issue voting is, in a word, moronic. There are way too many other issues that should, nay must, be weighed in making a decision. I believe that this is only intended to open up an aspect of the candidates' positions that isn't reported on in the mainstream press. Use it more as a barometer for how things may lean post-election. As Mike noted, however, laws come out of the legislative branch, not the executive branch. And, as he alluded to , you don't want to closely watch either laws or sausage being made!

Two words: "inherently governmental." Which candidate is more likely to use those words?

Oops, I forgot, Obama's reply said as much.

I'm surprised either candidate bothered to respond. I suspect the decision to do so was done at a time when the poll spread was less than 3 points and both thought they might be looking under rocks and behind trees for every vote (and they still may well be...). This questionnaire was probably filled out right after they completed the one for the international Red Hat Society.

I asked an Obama Staffer of, say, mid-grade about his position on general aviation issues and got a loooooonnnggg blank stare. I bet the same would be true if I asked a McCain staffer.

Either way, our work is cut out for us.

Maybe we should adopt a colored hat?

I'm surprised either candidate bothered to respond. I suspect the decision to do so was done at a time when the poll spread was less than 3 points and both thought they might be looking under rocks and behind trees for every vote (and they still may well be...). This questionnaire was probably filled out right after they completed the one for the international Red Hat Society.

I asked an Obama Staffer of, say, mid-grade about his position on general aviation issues and got a loooooonnnggg blank stare. I bet the same would be true if I asked a McCain staffer.

Either way, our work is cut out for us.

(em. added)

Same here, though the person I heard from was decidedly low-ranking.

Reading the responses, I'm with several posters already, and think it basically breaks down this way:

1. Obama: Pretty much completely and utterly uninformed; reads like an intern wrote it. Probably just doesn't care much.
  2. McCain: Significantly more informed on the issues, but on what would probably safely be termed the "wrong" side of them from our community's perspective.
Nothing there that I think will sway anybody's vote either way. :dunno:

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see much that rises to the level
of a discriminator between these two candidates... at least
with respect to GA.

I don't believe that anyone, AOPA included, wants aviation stances to be a litmus test for candidates. Single-issue voting is, in a word, moronic. There are way too many other issues that should, nay must, be weighed in making a decision. I believe that this is only intended to open up an aspect of the candidates' positions that isn't reported on in the mainstream press. Use it more as a barometer for how things may lean post-election. As Mike noted, however, laws come out of the legislative branch, not the executive branch. And, as he alluded to , you don't want to closely watch either laws or sausage being made!

Their responses (and past actions if any are on record) on this issue give a clue to how beholden the candidate is to large corporations (airlines in this case), balance of personal freedom (security vs. personal flying), and their their ability to assess a risk against simply taking a safe path that offends few people (again security vs. light planes).

This issue is actually a reasonable microcosm of how the candidate would react on a variety of other issues.

Maybe we should arm our aircraft and create a militia air force. I don't think either candidate is pro GA.

Maybe we should arm our aircraft and create a militia air force. I don't think either candidate is pro GA.

We've (read: the supreme court) barely been able to discern whether the second amendment allows us to have handguns. This might be a problem.

I agree, neither candidate is pro-GA. At best we can hope that he hires on an FAA director that is, or is at least not rapidly anti-GA.

Not holding my breath.......

We've (read: the supreme court) barely been able to discern whether the second amendment allows us to have handguns. This might be a problem.

I agree, neither candidate is pro-GA. At best we can hope that he hires on an FAA director that is, or is at least not rapidly anti-GA.

Not holding my breath.......
Like I said the key to user fees is privatization of ATC. If that is allowed to happen you WILL have user fees. One candidate is for private ATC and the other is against stating that the system is "inherently governmental". That should tell you enough about who is against user fees and who wants a LM air traffic control system.

Back