AOPA interviews the candidates on GA issues

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
AOPA just posted their Candidate / Election coverage, with interviews from the candidates about election issues:

http://www.aopa.org/feature/election08

I realize this will probably get kicked to Spin Zone eventually... but all of us are likely curious as to how the candidates feel about GA, so I'm starting it off in Hangar Talk--it can stay here if we keep it objective.

I should also note that my wife Cindy earned her private pilot’s license.

Well this at least should get Ed riled up :)

No question in my mind which candidate's answers were the most insightful.

Not that a vote of this magnitude hinges on such a narrow topic ...

I was hoping that McCain was going to explain why if he was so supportive of GA why he worked to keep Phil Boyer and other GA representatives off of the FAA Management Advisory Council. Additionally I was looking to see if McCain would also explain his pro-user fee status from years ago?

But alas he did not.

I was most impressed with one statement that Sen. Obama made and that was about ATC not being privatized and is a function of government. One of my fears is that if ATC becomes privatized we will have huge user fees and be 2nd fiddle to the airlines in trying to use the system. Keeping it under government control can help keep fees at bay and ensure we are treated like any other airplane or at least keep it at the status quo.

there is a good article on McCain and his views on aviation that came out in September; http://evansparks.wordpress.com/2008/09/28/aviation08-the-mccain-aviation-record/

John McCain has a track record of supporting market-based air traffic control reforms. In a 2001 interview with General Aviation News, which is full of revealing nuggets, he discussed a Reason Foundation report proposing a commercialized, nonprofit government corporation to provide air traffic control services (much like NAV CANADA). The interviewer was especially concerned about McCain’s support for user fees,
It is worth the read.

You can also Read Obama's Transportation plan here: http://www.barackobama.com/pdf/issues/FactSheetTransportation.pdf

And see an article simlilar to the McCain one here: http://evansparks.wordpress.com/2008/09/08/aviation08-the-obama-aviation-plan/

This is the one area of aviation policy in which Obama has made a legislative effort during his term: promoting an end to the hostile labor situation at the FAA. I will have more on this soon.
How does Obama plan to fund further ATC modernization? As far as I can find, he’s not on record endorsing user fees, and the FAA reauthorization bill never came up for a final vote in the Senate.

Seems to me on this issue there is a clear leader.

Last edited:
Please move to spin zone.
Um please do not.

This is aviation focused and in the scope of Hangar Talk. Spin Zone is for "Non-aviation related topics on Politics and Religion". That is straight from the forum description.

As long as we don't start discussing non-aviation political issues about these candidates it should stay here.

Um please do not.

This is aviation focused and in the scope of Hangar Talk. Spin Zone is for "Non-aviation related topics on Politics and Religion". That is straight from the forum description.

As long as we don't start discussing non-aviation political issues about these candidates it should stay here.

Your endorsement of one Candidate over the other is obvious and well documented.

Your previous post was clearly partisan, and thus spin zone material.

Your endorsement of one Candidate over the other is obvious and well documented.

There is no restriction anywhere on this site saying that I cannot state that I feel one person better represents aviation better than the other. You show me somewhere in the RoC where it says that is out of bounds?

The only requirement for SZ material is if it is non-aviation political or religious. This is aviation related material and there are numerous instances of aviation political issues being discussed in Hanger Talk.

Heck even recently the MC was allowing the discussion on the economic crises to go on in Hangar Talk instead of SZ and that was definitely on the hairy edge of SZ material. They even had to move a few.

This is a topic that affects us pilots and we should talk about it. McCain has been lambasted on the non-SZ parts of this site for his role with GA before. Just because we are 20 days away from an election does not mean we should shy away from it.

What these candidate feel about GA, ATC, user fees, etc. should be of interest to all pilots and the MC has allowed for us to discuss those issues in Hangar Talk.

If you disagree and think McCain is good for GA, lets hear it. Post away.

Last edited:
There is no restriction anywhere on this site saying that I cannot state that I feel one person better represents aviation better than the other. You show me somewhere in the RoC where it says that is out of bounds?

The only requirement for SZ material is if it is non-aviation poltical or religious. This is avation related material and there are numerous instances of aviational political issues being discussed in Hanger Talk.

Well, the definition of "political discussion" is somewhat subjective and not up to me to decide ("above my paygrade", so to speak)

My vote is to move it, for whatever that is worth.

Um please do not.

Yeah. Sorry, Scott, but this is just one of several posts where your advocacy for one candidate over the other has shone through. That advocacy is why I left the Spin Zone. Please don't bring it here.

well i dont care which candidate scott supports, but i hope to be able to watch this discussion as its not the kind of questions we can expect at the debate tonight.

Yeah. Sorry, Scott, but this is just one of several posts where your advocacy for one candidate over the other has shone through. That advocacy is why I left the Spin Zone. Please don't bring it here.
Again where does it say that we cannot discuss aviation matters and who represents them better?

Last edited:
Previous comments on Hangar Talk and Aviation political issues, this one was user fees
I just want to add, the decision as to whether posts belong in spin zone after they've been created is not a subject for a public vote.

User Fees are political but they are aviation related. As long as the political discussion remains focused on aviation material, they don't belong in the Spin Zone - the Spin Zone is for *NON* aviation related hot topics.

Again where does it say that we cannot discuss aviation matters and represents them better? This is the appropriate place.
Sorry. Politics belong in the Spin Zone. This is politics.

I am also amused that the two other people who said their choice was clear are not being singled out by either of you guys. Seems you assume their choice may be your choice so then it is acceptable? :rolleyes:
No, it's just that they don't have a long history of loudly and vociferously supporting one candidate. I'm sorry to say that you do. We all know who you support in the current election.

I come here to get away from politics, especially the way things are trending. If politics take over this forum, I'm leaving.

Again only non-avation politics is for the SZ. Read the forum description and see this quote again from Chuck

I just want to add, the decision as to whether posts belong in spin zone after they've been created is not a subject for a public vote.

User Fees are political but they are aviation related. As long as the political discussion remains focused on aviation material, they don't belong in the Spin Zone - the Spin Zone is for *NON* aviation related hot topics.

No, it's just that they don't have a long history of loudly and vociferously supporting one candidate. I'm sorry to say that you do. We all know who you support in the current election.
You are sooo wrong it is not even funny. I know you are not in the SZ group, but if you were you would see that I finally declared who I was supporting and it is not who you think. But that really is a SZ topic.

Last edited:
Jay then I respectively request that you use your free will and do not read this appropriately posted thread.
...and avoid the forum in total, since other threads may well take a turn into politics. So be it. Goodbye.

How about not worrying about it and contributing what you think about the two responses?

While I doubt neither McCain nor Obama personally responded to the questions, it seems pretty clear that McCain's campaign spent a lot more time on the responses, for whatever that's worth.

Could it be McCain's group spent more time on the responses because McCain has been noted previously by AOPA as, shall we say, less than GA friendly?

Trapper John

Could it be McCain's group spent more time on the responses because McCain has been noted previously by AOPA as, shall we say, less than GA friendly?
Or it could be that no one on Obama's team has much of a clue about GA, just like the vast majority of the population.

Or it could be that no one on Obama's team has much of a clue about GA, just like the vast majority of the population.

That could very well be. I could see whoever at Obama's campaign saying, feh, 600,000 pilots, only a portion of which belong to AOPA, I'll spend maybe an hour on this assignment...

With all the furor over the Daley handling of Meigs, I would have hoped Obama would have been plugged in a little better than his one-line reference indicated...

Trapper John

That could very well be. I could see whoever at Obama's campaign saying, feh, 600,000 pilots, only a portion of which belong to AOPA, I'll spend maybe an hour on this assignment...

With all the furor over the Daley handling of Meigs, I would have hoped Obama would have been plugged in a little better than his one-line reference indicated...

Trapper John
I was surprised he was even that plugged in. Most national politicians have no clue about Meigs and the controversy that came from it. Obama does because it was a local issue. People from his district, when he was a state political, used Meigs for Young Eagles flights for the city kids. The closing of Meigs was felt as a lost opportunity for city kids to get a taste of aviation. Not that it swayed that jerk Daley!

FOlks, let's keep it on topic and avoid the mudslinging at each other.

The MC and moderators are watching the thread carefully - it's dancing around the spin zone line. We can keep it here if it stays focused narrowly on the aviation issue and doesn't get into a "my candidate is better than yours" discussion - or we can move it if it heads down the partisan line like all the other threads.

Thanks.

While I doubt neither McCain nor Obama personally responded to the questions...

I agree that a staffer probably wrote both candidate's replies. Do you think that either candidate actually reads the replies to ensure they match his thinking? (honest question)

Do you think that either candidate actually reads the replies to ensure they match his thinking? (honest question)
I'm voting "no" but I have no evidence either way. Even if they do look at the answers it's probably a, "yeah, yeah, OK" reply to the staffer that wrote them. Can you imagine how many special interest groups (and GA is a special interest group) sends them similar questions?

There is also a piece on legislators that "get" GA in this month's AOPA Pilot mag.

First, this topic does belong in Hangar Talk, not Spin Zone.
Second, did anyone notice that McCain seems to be lauding Homeland Security and the TSA? When talking about the environment, neither talked about leaded fuel. Obama was pretty unequivocal that ATC is a governmental function, while McCain said that privatizing it is not a viable option "since there is little support within Congress or the aviation community for doing so." McCain seems to have a somewhat better grasp on GA, though that may be because his staffers spent more time fleshing out the answers than did Obama's.

Second, did anyone notice that McCain seems to be lauding Homeland Security and the TSA? When talking about the environment, neither talked about leaded fuel. Obama was pretty unequivocal that ATC is a governmental function, while McCain said that privatizing it is not a viable option "since there is little support within Congress or the aviation community for doing so." McCain seems to have a somewhat better grasp on GA, though that may be because his staffers spent more time fleshing out the answers than did Obama's.

Good non-partisan analysis, Grant. I noticed the same things. I noticed I had to scroll down to read most of McCain's answers, while Obama's were shorter. That's not to say that McCain's were better than Obama's, I'm not insinuating that longer = better; we all know politicians can say a lot and say nothing, too. :)

A recurring theme in McCain's replies was around the modernization plan for airspace; I don't recall seeing that come up in Obama's; this may be due to familiarization with the plan from McCain's subcommittee meetings. (??)

Thanks to all for keeping it aviation and terminating the bickering. Be assured that if it needs to be moved, we'll move it, but either way, we will not tolerate folks ripping on each other -- leave that to the candidates themselves.

I think, by default, McCain SHOULD have a better grasp on all aspects of aviation simply because he has served on several aviation-related committees in the past. I noticed that he made mention of these positions several times throughout his responses, but he never really said what he voted for-or-against while holding those positions.

Second, did anyone notice that McCain seems to be lauding Homeland Security and the TSA?
I did notice that but then if you also look Obama states some almost the same response to TSA as well. But leaves it a little more open. Either way it is obvious that reigning in TSA is not on the table for either candidate.

I think it comes down to some basic philospohical issues of privatization of ATC and user fees or not doing those things. One postion favors the airlines and one favors all users of the skies.

A recurring theme in McCain's replies was around the modernization plan for airspace; I don't recall seeing that come up in Obama's; this may be due to familiarization with the plan from McCain's subcommittee meetings. (??)

From Obama transportation plan
Improve and Modernize Air Traffic Control: Because of an outdated air-traffic control system and
overscheduling at airports already operating at full capacity, there were a record number of flight delays during
the first half of 2007. Moreover, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has failed to work well with our
nation’s air traffic controllers, neglecting to treat them with the respect they deserve. There are nearly 1,100
fewer air traffic controllers working in U.S. air traffic facilities today than three years ago, despite increasing air
traffic. Obama and Biden will work with Congress to modernize the nation’s air traffic control system and he
will direct the new FAA Administrator to work cooperatively with the frontline air traffic controllers to restore
morale and improve working conditions and operations at the agency.

Second, did anyone notice that McCain seems to be lauding Homeland Security and the TSA? When talking about the environment, neither talked about leaded fuel. Obama was pretty unequivocal that ATC is a governmental function, while McCain said that privatizing it is not a viable option "since there is little support within Congress or the aviation community for doing so." ...

That's a sign that McCain, as well as other members of congress are smarting from the AOPA/NBAA smackdown (twice.)

I agree that a staffer probably wrote both candidate's replies. Do you think that either candidate actually reads the replies to ensure they match his thinking? (honest question)
All politicians will have positions on various subjects that have already been worked out for answering questions like this. The candiate's Chief of Staff will have one of the staffers answer them in alignment with the position paper. If there is not a position they develop one. Campaigning 101.

That is what probably happened here. That is why you shoudl also check out eaach candidates public position papers on subject such as aviation, that may be of interest to you. That is why I posted the more detailed one for Obama.

But no matter what I doubt that any candidate EVER will give you the detailed plan that you may be looking for. Not on this topic or any other.

...But no matter what I doubt that any candidate EVER will give you the detailed plan that you may be looking for. Not on this topic or any other.

What's the point of "detailed plan?" Presidents don't write the laws. They have to pass through the sausage grinder that is congress.

Look what happened to the "Keep it simple" financial bailout plan - 500 pages in a week.

Last edited:
What's the point of "detailed plan?" Presidents don't write the laws. They have to pass thgrough the sausage grider that is congress.

Look what happened to the "Keep it simple" financial bailout plan. 500 pages in a week.
What we want to look for here on the topic of aviation is who legislative agenda would favor GA. That will be the position that the incoming president's legislative affairs director will push Congress to take up.

While the presidential candidates' views on GA are interesting, it's not a deciding factor to me.

Having said that, if I were to make a choice as to who is better for GA, my choice would be ....

C...neither.
Obama's responses are too vague and meaningless. McCain's record shows that he has not been that GA friendly either.

Obama used the 'F' word. That lets him out in my opinion.

I don't think McCain's was written by him. He also thinks we need more security. I think it was done by a staffer.

They both failed. We're screwed.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see much that rises to the level
of a discriminator between these two candidates... at least
with respect to GA.

Back