AOPA Insurance

Sport Pilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Pilot
I am signing up with AOPA Renter Insurance for $81.00 for 250,000 coverage (Bodily/Property) and $94.00 for 5,000 coverage (deductible for non-owned aircraft). I will be paying $175.00 total yearly.

Is AOPA the aviation industry standard for insurance? Is this the best route?

I used AOPA for 2 years, never made a claim, but they had good customer service.

For what it’s worth, $5,000 in coverage isn’t much. I would suggest a minimum of $20,000.

My 2c

There is a local insurance broker who can get better coverage for lower rates than those that AOPA represent.

One thing I liked about how he goes about it is he will make sure that the coverage he quotes covers not only your part of non-owner hull item, but also the liability and medical issues.

Reach out to Chad Smolik, https://aviationinsuranceexperts.com/

I have filed a claim against aopa renter's insurance and they paid out smoothly. i had 5k hull coverage and they paid the entire amount which was sufficient to cover the claim

Have owners insurance through AOPA ,been satisfied with the service and price,never had a claim.

I found USAIG cheaper than AOPA but haven't checked in several years.

I used AOPA for 2 years, never made a claim, but they had good customer service.

For what it’s worth, $5,000 in coverage isn’t much. I would suggest a minimum of $20,000.

My 2c
When buying aviation insurance I always opt to insure people over airplanes. Airplanes are easily fixed or replaced, people not so much.

I found USAIG cheaper than AOPA but haven't checked in several years.

AOPA is an agent. When I had renters insurance through them, the insurer was USAIG.

For cookie-cutter consumer grade renters policies, I doubt that there is a price difference between the various agents. It's a small product they sell just to keep you happy as a customer.

There aren't all that many companies writing renters. Avemco (direct sales), USAIG and Starr were the only ones a couple of years ago. There was an outfit called 'Aggressive' for a while, not sure whether rhey are still around.
Starr offered coverage for twins as well as higher limits than USAIG. Avemco otoh covered CAP and SAR flying on behalf of the sheriff etc.
So it all depends what you need. If you need 5mil non-owned coverage, there is an entire different set of insurers available.

Last edited:
Back