AOPA gets "Zoomed"

Bill, I really don't care too much what comm ops do. Well, I do care in the grander scheme of things but that's not a valid comparison.
In many cases it's a valid comparison. There are plenty of larger business aircraft that are not commercial ops and fly Part 91 just like you do.

I see Craig took credit for the Pilot bill of rights. He also took another line to promote the twin libs on their leash. I tried to find anywhere that AOPA was testifying in congress in the last session and aside from their small bit where they agreed with Inhofe - there was nothing.

Bottom line, the proof is in the retention of members and new members and the numbers are way down. The fact that they won't even say how bad it is tells me that it's really bad. And finally, WTF is a pilot chew made of? Mebee I don't want to know.

Fuller responds: http://blog.aopa.org/aopanow/?p=1301

Among the highlights:

"Jim, I have tried meeting with you to understand your point of view and I have ignored you. Both approaches seem to take me to about the same place.

"I start every day trying to make a positive difference in this space we call general aviation. If I am guilty of anything, it is in believing that others in our community start their day the same way. While from time to time you test this belief, I will continue to embrace and hold on to my optimism. It’s who I am.

"What really sustains my belief in the goodness and enduring nature of our general aviation community comes not from sitting at a desk and writing a blog, it comes from being out with people."

Fuller had an impressive reply IMHO.

In many cases it's a valid comparison. There are plenty of larger business aircraft that are not commercial ops and fly Part 91 just like you do.

OK, here we go. I am a US citizen with feet, boat, car, and plane. They are all owned by ME. If I want to leave this country by plane, I need permission from the feds or I will be committing a felony. If we are going to do this right, we then must require all citizens to notify the feds when they want to walk, boat, or drive across the border.

Now, I don't care if it's any of the four common modes of transportation, if I own the conveyance and I'm operating it, then the rules should be the same. Walk, float, drive, fly - either you notify the feds in advance, and get permission, or you don't.

As for 121, etc I have already stated that I don't think the feds need to know when a citizen leave the country or not. In fact, if I ran things, I would prohibit the feds from gathering info on the movement of any US citizens at any time without a warrant issued by a fed judge. But that is just me.

OK, here we go. I am a US citizen with feet, boat, car, and plane. They are all owned by ME. If I want to leave this country by plane, I need permission from the feds or I will be committing a felony. If we are going to do this right, we then must require all citizens to notify the feds when they want to walk, boat, or drive across the border.

Now, I don't care if it's any of the four common modes of transportation, if I own the conveyance and I'm operating it, then the rules should be the same. Walk, float, drive, fly - either you notify the feds in advance, and get permission, or you don't.

As for 121, etc I have already stated that I don't think the feds need to know when a citizen leave the country or not. In fact, if I ran things, I would prohibit the feds from gathering info on the movement of any US citizens at any time without a warrant issued by a fed judge. But that is just me.

As far as I know, one does not need the US government's permission to LEAVE the country (unless one is legally restricted specifically by a court). The only permission required is to RETURN. It is the receiving country that requires documentation.

It is the receiving country that requires documentation.
The receiving country is sometime much more inquisitive than the US. Especially if it is Canada.

As far as I know, one does not need the US government's permission to LEAVE the country (unless one is legally restricted specifically by a court). The only permission required is to RETURN. It is the receiving country that requires documentation.

You haven't tried flying a plane out of the country yet, I see.

Look up the APIS requirements and have a gander.

You don't know very far then. One DOES need the US govt permission to LEAVE the country - of course, if you decide to leave and never return, I guess it would be no problem, but if you ever want to come back in, you better have asked permission to leave in the first place. Goes not only for the pilot, but every person who travels by air. Everyone.

Get it?

You don't know very far then. One DOES need the US govt permission to LEAVE the country - of course, if you decide to leave and never return, I guess it would be no problem, but if you ever want to come back in, you better have asked permission to leave in the first place. Goes not only for the pilot, but every person who travels by air. Everyone.

Get it?

Oh absolutely. I know full well how silly it was. Amounts to defection. If the country you fly to is happy to have you, go ahead and fly there ;)

Fuller had an impressive reply IMHO.

Impressive if it's true. Haven't seen Fuller "out with the people" like Boyer was... not even close. Boyer made it here for Town Hall meetings like every other year, haven't seen Fuller yet.

Impressive if it's true. Haven't seen Fuller "out with the people" like Boyer was... not even close. Boyer made it here for Town Hall meetings like every other year, haven't seen Fuller yet.
Fuller came to KAPA about a year ago. Seems like Senator Udall was there too.

Anyone know if Mr. Campbell has a current medical?

Anyone know if Mr. Campbell has a current medical?

He got it back in the late 80s. It was pulled based on the 'overt acts' that his disease manifested itself with. After a couple of years without bizarre (flying related) incidents, he managed to get it back.

If I found the right JAMES RICHARD CAMPBELL, he's got a third class that's currently good until the end of November.

What state is he using for an address. I was looking for him in vain in FL.

Fuller responds: http://blog.aopa.org/aopanow/?p=1301

Among the highlights:

"Jim, I have tried meeting with you to understand your point of view and I have ignored you. Both approaches seem to take me to about the same place.

"I start every day trying to make a positive difference in this space we call general aviation. If I am guilty of anything, it is in believing that others in our community start their day the same way. While from time to time you test this belief, I will continue to embrace and hold on to my optimism. It’s who I am.

"What really sustains my belief in the goodness and enduring nature of our general aviation community comes not from sitting at a desk and writing a blog, it comes from being out with people."

Sigh. "Ensure."

windbag said:
- We work to insure GA is considered as airspace is modified;

Anyway - I see that AOPA still takes credit for others' work. That is too bad. In this case, though, Craig responded in the way he needed to - he addressed every concern brought up and gave explanation. Some of it felt "spinny" but that's to be expected from a CEO of a corporation.

Now - if he can learn proper grammar, that would be a nice next step.

Last edited:
While Campbell sometimes registers airplanes out of state (at relatives' addresses), I believe he's usually listed either his home or business addresses in the pilot database. That's currently in Green Cove Springs, Florida.

Also, I believe the FAA will still withhold a listing on request, so lack of a listing doesn't necessarily mean lack of a medical.

Ron Wanttaja

Thanks. How does he make enough money to live?

Thanks. How does he make enough money to live?
According to a lawsuit filed by a former advertising manager, ANN grosses around $50,000 a year in advertising.

Ron Wanttaja

The entry I was looking at has the address blocked. There are four James Richard Campbell entries in the database and I just picked the one that had what appeared to be the right combination of certificates and were without addresses in places I doubt Campbell was residing.

I continue to be surprised by the anti-AOPA sentiments. In the 34 years I've been a member I've gotten more than my money's worth out of the magazine alone. All the other things (online resources, assistance buying multiple planes, etc.), not to mention whatever lobbying efforts on behalf of GA they accomplished, were just a bonus.

All for less than 10 gal. of avgas (at the most.) What is there to complain about??

Personally, Campbell and ANN have never impressed me and always struck me as a personal, self-serving enterprise on his behalf.

I continue to be surprised by the anti-AOPA sentiments. In the 34 years I've been a member I've gotten more than my money's worth out of the magazine alone. All the other things (online resources, assistance buying multiple planes, etc.), not to mention whatever lobbying efforts on behalf of GA they accomplished, were just a bonus.

All for less than 10 gal. of avgas (at the most.) What is there to complain about??

Personally, Campbell and ANN have never impressed me and always struck me as a personal, self-serving enterprise on his behalf.

AOPA is not a magazine company. That is what there is to complain about. They sell the magazine to collect revenue, which is supposed to be used to fight on behalf of General Aviation.

But there's not a lot of that going on lately. There's a lot of talk, and a lot of inaction, but not much doing.

Oh, and as always, a lot of taking credit also. I'm surprised AOPA doesn't take credit for this board existing, since they made it so horrible to visit the yellow board, people flocked over here while they tried to fix their mess.

edit: I just reread your post - you really consider their lobbying efforts to be a "bonus" over the primary mission of the magazine? Wow. That is probably one of the reasons AOPA doesn't do **** anymore - they don't have to.

Back