AOPA fly-in -- anyone have a review? It it worth a 200NM trip in a C-172?

pj500

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
pj500
Has anyone been to one of the AOPA fly-ins and can provide a review?

Put a buddy in the plane to share the cost of fuel and absolutely it's worth a little 200 mile xcountry.

I went to Indy. I arrived early the day of and was the only one in the pattern. That soon changed. My best advice, land long to free up the congestion on final. The marshals directed me right to a parking spot very efficiently. As we stood around, AOPA's Prez came up and talked with us for about 10 mins. Seemed likable and humble. Admitted he'd flown in the jet without apology. Neither of my friends knew who he was until after he sauntered off.

Breakfast was good, lunch took too long but that was a function of what they were serving. I think I"d rather have fast, thank good!

The seminar on upset recovery was pretty interesting and standing room only. The give away plane was there, but I thought the A/C displays and the vendors were pretty light. Would have liked to spend a little money, but even the AOPA tent had run out of my size shirt.

Personally, I don't need much reason to fly, and that was as good a fly-in as any I've been to lately. I'm an AOPA supporter, so talking with some of the staff (way below Baker's pay grade) was a real treat. Despite what the naysayers will tell you, these people really care and work hard for the members. Would I go to another one? Absolutely. This was pretty good compared to the California-only events of the past several years.

AOPA with all its warts, is trying to reach out to its members. Regionals are a great idea, IMHO. Even if they aren't perfect this year, its a lot better than what we had last year.

Thanks for the great review. I appreciate it.

Anyone from BOI want to go to Spokane and split gas? :)

pj500 said:
It it worth a 200NM trip in a C-172?

Yes.
YES!
YES!!!
HeIIz yes! :)

You will be hard-pressed to find an event like that in your area all year long.
And if you are lucky, you might get to meet Rod Machado. (I got a picture :tongue: )

I have a 172 and 200 miles is a breakfast (or maybe lunch) run. If you love flying, the destination is just an excuse.

I once flew 800nm over the course of an 8hr day just to say I landed on an ice runway. Don't ask for my opinion :)

I went to San Marcos for the AOPA Fly-In, and it was a hoot. 200nm? I'd fly a lot further than that for such an event.

Hey! I flew to San Marcos today, too! ;-)

The diner at FDK is delicious . so obviously you should go.

<< Transmitted via Tapatalk on my mobile device >>

Back