AOPA & EAA petition FAA on Recreational Medical Exemption

Only 20 more days (til July 2nd) for you to weigh in with your voice...

http://www.aopa.org/advocacy/articles/2012/120612time-running-out-to-support-medical-exemption.html

If using medical self-certification and a driver's license to fly single-engine aircraft with 180-horsepower or less, four seats or fewer, and fixed landing gear for recreational purposes is up your alley, now is your chance to make that scenario a reality. With only 20 days to support the AOPA/EAA medical exemption request, submit comments supporting it now.

They're just doing it as a future fundraiser...

"We tried before but now we're going to try again, harder. Because we were wholly ineffective last time and didn't have our ducks in a row, you should send money!!"

Craig Fuller, speaking before the crowd of about 200 at the safety seminar Bob Reed put together at Lancaster PA last year.

So...speaking about someone who is no longer FAA Administrator?

Folks with inside knowledge at the FAA seem to think the situation has not changed. But y'all have fun anyway.

I'd be very surprised if it does. The only reason the Sport Pilot/LSA rules came about is because they wanted to get the fat ultralights under regulations, it wasn't about making flying cheaper.

Although I do have to admit, I do love the LSAs, very sporty and fun aircrafts to fly. :D

When it comes down to it, I would prefer they abandon class 3 altogether not just overlay the whole thing with a bunch of hoops. Do we really need to survey pilots to see if they want to get rid of class 3 medicals (or any, for that matter)? I presume this proposal was built to get the FAA to accept it and pass it. I just don't see it happening in my lifetime. Too many people assume just because they have their permit to (drive, fly, etc), they are good to go. Some are able to tell the difference when they are not, some delude themselves into thinking "They can handle it".
I have doubts about EAA's statistics that imply an additional 100,000 planes would be flying, millions saved by the FAA and pilots. Do we really spend $25 million a year to keep our class 3? Would this really save the FAA $1 million a year?
Maybe the real proposal should be class 3 medical or an annual physical from your local GP. After all, the latter would be covered by health insurance and we all could save that $25 million.

Craig Fuller, speaking before the crowd of about 200 at the safety seminar Bob Reed put together at Lancaster PA last year.

I have heard similar. The thought is really simple. What does the FAA administrator have to gain by acceding to the request? Nothing. What does he have to loose? Tons of time making the new rules, and potential liability if someone screws the pooch because of the change. I see no up side to this for the FAA at all. The LSA rules were about regulating fat ultralights. This gives them nothing.

Yup, nothing for the feds. And one less thing to fear monger $ for by AOPA. Rules are good for business, just ask the NRA.:rofl:

I guess I would prefer to see the organizations using some sort of lobbying power to try and foment such change. This petition has little likelihood of success, as far as I can see. This does not boost my respect for the organizations one iota, and is indeed a bit surprising now that I think of it. A damn waste of precious resources. Or perhaps they think we're all naive. Who knows, perhaps they're correct.

Back