RogerT

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
RogerT
So has anyone heard anything about the AOPA board? They
said "see us in May". Well there's only one day left in May. Is
tomorrow the day?

They did not say which year!!! I dont miss it at all! Perhaps all of the folks that could not behave in a civil manner see the error of thier ways..

I think this Board is far more friendlier than the AOPA's. Each Board has its own character (or, shall I say characters).:happydance:

I have seen this happen several times now on various internet forums.
A group with assets and/or political concerns has given up the administration of the forum to private interests. The chatgroup I now run formed because of the legal concerns our professional association had.
These private groups have done really well with self-regulation and oversight by a few cool heads.

Thanks to AOPA for getting us started; and POA for taking it to the next level!

>

>

RogerT said:
So has anyone heard anything about the AOPA board? They
said "see us in May". Well there's only one day left in May. Is
tomorrow the day?
Nope. Not yet.

I chatted with Robert a couple of weeks ago, and at that time he said the lawyers were still discussing the legal issues, but that plans were moving forward.

As I understand it, AOPA will be doing an ad campaign to promote the new forums in the new format in an attempt to bring in a lot of new blood. How the forums will operate, however, was undecided at the time. When they'd be coming up, as well, was still unknown.

No new info since then.

http://www.aopa.org said:
We're remodeling the AOPA WebBoard to better serve you. When we reopen, the WebBoard will be bigger, faster, and have a lot of exciting new features that you've asked for.

Regrettably, we have experienced several delays, which have pushed our scheduled return to the third week in June. We appreciate your patience.

Check AOPA's members home page for updates on our progress.

Updated Tuesday, May 31, 2005 2:55:38 PM

Cheers,

-Andrew

Thats new. Just a few hours ago, the message still said may.

Someone's lurking... ;)

We know Robert has been around. I recall he did post here back in April once or twice.
I agree that PoA has risen to the challenge and has provided an excellent environment for continuing the work the AOPA webboard started. Most of the AOPA posters have migrated over to here, and I've even seen Marco, the host of thepilotlounge.com here.
I do miss the Late Bloomers Club although I know most of them are here too.

Last edited:
thepilotlounge.com is still going strong.

Our site is primarily focussed on training and individual flying diaries, as opposed to the "span of general aviation" focus here. Marco is also working on some new features, if he ever gets time away from work and flying.

1. It's still several weeks away -- legal stuff.

2. They're going to use the same software Chuck's using here (vBulletin).

Ed Guthrie said:
Bleeeaah.

I kind of like it. I have my routine down for viewing and marking read. I use Firefox and open all the new posts in new tabs. My settings show the posts with the most recent at the top. I can get through this board at about the same speed I could the AOPA board.

The one thing I do miss is the ability to read posts via email. That was the fastest way to read.....or not read.

Carol said:
I kind of like it. I have my routine down for viewing and marking read. I use Firefox and open all the new posts in new tabs. My settings show the posts with the most recent at the top. I can get through this board at about the same speed I could the AOPA board.
I like it too; much better. It just takes a bit of exploring and getting used to.

Love the new chat room. :)

Curious that they'll be using the same software (vBulletin) when they spent well over a thousand on the package they used to use. Last I talked to Robert I got the impression they would be using the upgraded front end for that same software. I don't think he was 100% sure about it at the time though.

I wonder if they'll be holding off going live until vBulletin 3.5.0 comes out.

It goes into beta sometime next month. We'll start looking at it here (I should have kept the beta testers user group around) at that time. It's a major upgrade and will probably affect our customizations.

Gary Sortor said:
I think this Board is far more friendlier than the AOPA's. Each Board has its own character (or, shall I say characters).:happydance:

I didn't say I missed it. I think this place is great.

Carol said:
The one thing I do miss is the ability to read posts via email. That was the fastest way to read.....or not read.

And that's the only way I can read boards on a regular basis. :(

I really hope AOPA doesn't switch to this software, I honestly like Akiva better, AND it lets me read via email which I can't do here. :no: Y'all may have noticed I've hardly posted over here at all. I've only ever opened two forums (HT and Cool Places). :(

Kent:

Question about how Akiva worked - did it send you one email per post or did it send you a daily digest format?

I'm starting to work on this. :)

Chuck,
I used it on occasion. You had a choice of a digest format daily for your tracked forums or copies of all replies to threads you started. It is kind of like a listserver machine.

And the digest format included all new posts from that day?

Chuck,

On AOPA webboard with the email option you could get either a single email or a digest format.

Note there were a few "enhancement opportunities" with the Akiva email...as soon as you posted the email went out (ie the Lady Malibu Trap), corrections to a post were not sent out via email and attachments were not sent out via email.

The email capability doesn't interest me personally and, sorry to say, I'm still not a fan of the software used here. I imagine that there are some things I'm not doing right that would make the user experience here better but I haven't been able to figure out what they are. My primary issue is being able to ensure I've at least scanned the titles of all new posts since the last time I've accessed the board. I'm also not found of the Recent Activity - Reset Activity method of looking at new posts. If I start reading posts using this method but can't finish the list of Recent Activity and close the window I have no way of recapturing those posts.

Len

Len,

Thats why you should be using "New Posts" instead of Recent Activity.

New Posts will not time out the list on you if you take too long. You mark each forum read in the "New Posts" list as you finish with them.

This is as good a time to point out that vBulletin is now preparing a new release for beta test, and in that new release, there is a new way of handling the marking of threads read.

Every thread is tracked in the database as to whether or not you've read it. Any unread thread, or thread with activity since you read it last, shows up on the list. Once you read the thread, when you go back to the list, that thread is gone. Threads will not "fall off" the list until they've reached an age we set (probably 1 week).

We don't know when 3.5.0 will be released, but PoA will be setting up a test site running the beta software as soon as vBulletin puts the beta out there. Hopefully early this month.

The downside to 3.5.0 is that, when we move to it, some features we've added recently will go away until updates are made for them. 3.5.0 changes some fundamental behavior, in a good way, but in a way that doesn't retrofit well.

Anyway, I'm going to continue working on the email system to try and get the daily digest to contain all new posts (and only new posts) from the day. It will take some work tho, so no promises. :)

Len Lanetti said:
Chuck,

On AOPA webboard with the email option you could get either a single email or a digest format.

Note there were a few "enhancement opportunities" with the Akiva email...as soon as you posted the email went out (ie the Lady Malibu Trap), corrections to a post were not sent out via email and attachments were not sent out via email.

The email capability doesn't interest me personally and, sorry to say, I'm still not a fan of the software used here. I imagine that there are some things I'm not doing right that would make the user experience here better but I haven't been able to figure out what they are. My primary issue is being able to ensure I've at least scanned the titles of all new posts since the last time I've accessed the board. I'm also not found of the Recent Activity - Reset Activity method of looking at new posts. If I start reading posts using this method but can't finish the list of Recent Activity and close the window I have no way of recapturing those posts.

Len

I use new posts now instead of recent activity because they don't disappear if you can't finish the list. You can't click on "last read" if you have to step away too long, but it's simple and quick to just go to the last post of a thread, backtrack till the posts are ones you've already read using the timestamp, and read from there. After reading the posts in "new posts" I mark all posts read, hit "recent activity" to catch anything that pop up while I was marking read (a couple posts can pop up in a very short time), then reset the timer. I think I'm getting all the posts this way.

Joe Williams said:
After reading the posts in "new posts" I mark all posts read, hit "recent activity" to catch anything that pop up while I was marking read (a couple posts can pop up in a very short time), then reset the timer. I think I'm getting all the posts this way.

Sounds more complicated than an instrument approach or programming a VCR...I don't think I'll be able to comply.

:<)

Len

Greebo said:
Len,

Thats why you should be using "New Posts" instead of Recent Activity.

Chuck,

Thanks. I've must have missed the NOTAM.

Len

Len:

Go to the Site Feedback and Support forum and read the sticky threads. :)

Len Lanetti said:
Sounds more complicated than an instrument approach or programming a VCR...I don't think I'll be able to comply.

:<)

Len

I can provide training and a checkride. For the right price of course. :rofl:

Back