AOPA Aviation summit....

CT Arrow

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Adios!
Anybody going to this thing? Could it really be that much different then all of the other "AOPA Conventions"? :dunno:

It isn't really any different. They just renamed it.

/Rant

Why do they continue to only have their Summit/Conventions on the East and West coasts? It really seems like they could throw a bone to the central part of the country.

/Rant

/Rant

Why do they continue to only have their Summit/Conventions on the East and West coasts? It really seems like they could throw a bone to the central part of the country.

/Rant
Agreed, you would think they would have a better turn out if it was half way in between. But they probably look at the population of the east and west coasts compared to the center of the US. Which would make more sense to have it on a rotation between the two. The population of pilots in the Mid West is probably 1/3 of all of them on the East Coast.

/Rant

/Rant

Because it's called fly-over country? {rimshot}

(sorry, couldn't resist!)

Phil Boyer explained it. They take a map and draw a circle of member/pilots within a days(?) flying time. The Midwest has too much circle that's around empty corn fields.

Last edited:
Can't blame them one iota. Then again, if everyone lived here the place would suck, so they can have their little conventions elsewhere.

Notice that the largest aviation convention happens in the Midwest, and people flock to it.

Yea, I get the "call it something new" and maybe more people would show up. It needed a facelift badly but just not sure if it's worth treking to.

You know, now that they've announced even closer ties to EAA, I don't know why they don't just save a lot of money and combine the two events, or at least tie it onto the start or end of AirVenture!

You know, now that they've announced even closer ties to EAA, I don't know why they don't just save a lot of money and combine the two events, or at least tie it onto the start or end of AirVenture!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

If anyone does come down to the convention, stop on by Tampa Bay Brewing Company. If you're staying in one of the hotels next to the convention center, it is a short cheap street car trolley ride to Ybor City...great place for the after party. The trolley has a stop in Centro Ybor which places at the front patio of the brewpub! Cheers, hope to see you all here.
www.tampabaybrewingcompany.com

Afternoon all,

I'll check in to see if I can get anything else out of why there aren't midwest plans.

I do want to ask, if I may, what sort of suggestions/comments/concerns you would have if you could change Summit/Expo?

Thanks!
-epubs

I do want to ask, if I may, what sort of suggestions/comments/concerns you would have if you could change Summit/Expo?

Yes, please have people who are promoting this event stop using Twit-Speak. All those @'s in the other thread are annoying in appearance and add nothing to the message. Twitter is a pox upon our society and the Twits* on it add little in the way of information. Twit-Speak is even more annoying than text-speak.

I refuse to call Twitter messages 'tweets', they are 'twits'. A Twitterer is someone who sends out Twits on Twitter. :raspberry:

TTFN ;)

All,

After talking to someone in our events and promotions team, the following has to happen for AOPA to consider our Summit to be located at any area:

• A big convention center
  • A Supportive GA Airport nearby (say no less than 10 minutes driving)
  • 40,000-60,000 nights in a hotel that is within walking distance to the convention center.
In the past, our Expos were normally a member-focused event: our audiences were in the larger-populated areas. It made sense (as some people have said earlier) that we should go to these areas.

With the new Summit and focus on outreaching to any individual who has been bit by the "aviation bug", I've been told that we are considering locations in America's Heartland. I'd make a safe bet that the response to our open, free-to-the-public aircraft display will play a part here.

With that, we are under contract for the next few years (2010 in Long Beach, Cali., 2011 in Hartford, Conn.).

With the response I've seen on the two threads, I'll keep in touch daily.

Thanks!
-epubs

P.S.: Smigaldi, I changed the formatting for you.

40,000-60,000 nights in a hotel that is within walking distance to the convention center.

Uhhh... What's that mean? :dunno:

I'd offer up Madison, WI as a good choice: We have four GA-friendly airports (our class C, KMSN, is very GA-friendly as well as the non-towered airports - C29 being the best with a new terminal and new 4000' runway, but also 87Y and 6P3). We have the Frank Lloyd Wright convention center in a picturesque location on Lake Monona and only a couple of blocks from the state capitol. We're also a VERY quick flight, or an easy drive, from Chicago, Minneapolis/St. Paul, and Milwaukee metro areas. We manage to handle all the visitors to the World Dairy Expo, Badger football games, etc. in the local hotels, so if you schedule the Summit when the above events aren't going on there should be no problem accommodating the event quite easily. :yes:

In the past, our Expos were normally a member-focused event: our audiences were in the larger-populated areas. It made sense (as some people have said earlier) that we should go to these areas.

With the new Summit and focus on outreaching to any individual who has been bit by the "aviation bug", I've been told that we are considering locations in America's Heartland. I'd make a safe bet that the response to our open, free-to-the-public aircraft display will play a part here.

Glad to hear it! :yes:

Back