AOPA 2011 Sweepstakes project

cool, i have a friend who works at Air Plains.

First one I've been excited about in a few years. I want this one. Gimme gimme gimme.

I'd have liked that Twinkie a few years back, too.

Look I'd have like any of them but yeah this one is really really exciting to me!!!:thumbsup:

I'd sell it, take the extra $$ and put it in the PA24

I'd like any of them. Winning an airplane is a really good thing. Winning two is even better.

Dang, that's a plane I'd like to have. :yes:

Having said that, however, I've got time in one of the earlier AOPA projects. There is enough custom work in there that repairs can be more expensive than the norm. It was also alleged that they missed an AD during the refurbishment.

Dang, that's a plane I'd like to have. :yes:

Having said that, however, I've got time in one of the earlier AOPA projects. There is enough custom work in there that repairs can be more expensive than the norm. It was also alleged that they missed an AD during the refurbishment.

There is far more truth to this than you can imagine. Also, there aren't likely any warranties on anything, so the minute you pick up the aircraft you get to start fixing all the stuff they did wrong in the refurbishment. I recall a Bo that got HITS technology that spent the majority of its first couple years in the shop.

After taking the T-41B (210HP) coast to coast.. a C-182 on steriods is just perfect..
Step back... this one is mine.

I would have accepted any of them but I was particularly fond of the Cardinal. They really stripped that one down to bare metal. Any of the 172's would do nicely. or the Six.

Meh. If it's a real raffle, my odds of winning are similar to playing Mega Millions or PowerBall (if I bought a ticket).

Assuming you're an AOPA member, you have by default 1 entry. Opt for auto renewal, add 5. Member for two consecutive years or more, add 5. Legal and medical plan member, add one each. And there's a alternate by mail which you could use. Odds are 1:420,000 to 1:6,000,000 (approx).
My luck, Nick will win!

The odds of winning decrease significantly if your name isn't in the barrel.

Lottery: Indistinguishable from zero is not that different from zero. The difference is not really significant in any statstical sense.

AOPA: The odds are good enough that you see something other than all zeros on your calculator.

Publishers Clearinghouse: They spend more money on postage mailing out the entries than they spend on prizes.

Most people do. The income tax hit is enormous.

I used to say that I love paying taxes though. It used to mean I'm making more money. Nothing used to thrill me more than to have to pay a whole lot of taxes. Now it's just paying taxes again on money I already paid taxes on once or pay a lot more taxes on the same income that seems to be in favor.

I'd still take the plane though and pay the taxes, maybe fly it for a year or so, and then move it on along to some other happy owner.

Lottery: Indistinguishable from zero is not that different from zero. The difference is not really significant in any statstical sense.
I like to think of it in practical terms. Let's say you gather the entire population of Miami-Dade County, and have everyone pressed together shoulder to shoulder in one giant block of humanity. Fly overhead and toss out a golf ball. Whoever it bonks in the head had the same odds as someone who buys 10 tickets for the Florida Lotto. Powerball is even worse.

Now my wife, on the other hand, is more optimistic. The odds are 50-50. You either win or you don't. :)

I like to think of it in practical terms. Let's say you gather the entire population of Miami-Dade County, and have everyone pressed together shoulder to shoulder in one giant block of humanity. Fly overhead and toss out a golf ball. Whoever it bonks in the head had the same odds as someone who buys 10 tickets for the Florida Lotto. Powerball is even worse.

... and if it bonks anyone on the shoulder, not the head, nobody wins. Then you get to do it again next week for a bigger jackpot. -Skip

Back