AOG Sunday+Holiday+Island (KHSE)...suggestions?

Brad Z

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brad Z
Greetings Gang-

Just flew down to Hatteras NC this evening and managed to pick up a sand-spur-cactus thingy on the nose gear, causing it to rapidly deinflate. I managed to get the airplane off the runway, but I realized I'm in a bit of a pickle, as I might not have a workable tube or tire. I haven't gotten a good look to see if the tire is still salvageable (perhaps it may be in a pinch, but it rode on the rim as it came to a stop). I may very well be able to patch the tube with an Alaskan Aviation-approved patching method, but in the event that my tire and tube are trashed, is there a way I can get a replacement by Monday?

Spruce is closed for the rest of the weekend. Not sure about others. I left a voicemail for the mechanic up at Dare County in Manteo, but I'm wondering if there's someone who can ship overnight so I can get this fixed Monday. I know the bizjet world has this figured out, but is there a way to get something simple like a spam can tube and tire by quickly without paying an arm and a leg?

Any thoughts?

Borrow one from another a/c on the field?

Do you have access to a car or rent one?
I do. The closest airport is Manteo, which is about 1:30 away. There's also a few other airports about 2:30-3:00 hour drive away. That may be a solution if I can get a hold of anyone, and they have it in stock.

Borrow one from another a/c on the field?
Worked for me once. Borrowed the wheel/tire, flew the plane home and returned the wheel. Made the trip a few hours late. Pilots are a community

Worked for me once. Borrowed the wheel/tire, flew the plane home and returned the wheel. Made the trip a few hours late. Pilots are a community
It wouldn't work very well here as no one is based here; everyone is transient. Agree on the community aspect though.

It wouldn't work very well here as no one is based here; everyone is transient. Agree on the community aspect though.
Understand. Full story, hold short at kbjc, front wheel split, towed off parade up Ray. Called my mech and asked if he knew of a Mooney wheel. He was doing the annual on a friends plane. Another friend flew me up and got the wheel. Was only 4 hours late to the flyin

Epilogue: Andy, the mechanic at Dare Co. called me back Sunday morning and had the tube in stock. I pulled off the wheel, drove up to swap out the tube, and reinstalled. Emailed myself a logbook entry. Lost a few hours on a beautiful day, but pretty painless, all things considering.

Back