Anza-Borrego Sky Trail

cameronbm

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bruce Cameron
I've the dubious pleasure of being in the LA area on business in January. On the plus side, my schedule allows me a free day and I was thinking of renting a plane out of SNA and doing some flight-seeing along the Anza-Borrego Sky Trail.

Anyone have any suggestions as to the best route from SNA to the Borrego Airport (L08)? Once I get out to Borrego, are there any recommendations as to where to stop for lunch?

Bruce

cameronbm said:
I've the dubious pleasure of being in the LA area on business in January. On the plus side, my schedule allows me a free day and I was thinking of renting a plane out of SNA and doing some flight-seeing along the Anza-Borrego Sky Trail.

Anyone have any suggestions as to the best route from SNA to the Borrego Airport (L08)? Once I get out to Borrego, are there any recommendations as to where to stop for lunch?

Bruce

Bruce,

I rent at Sunrise Aviation ( http://www.sunriseaviation.com ) at SNA.
I believe there policy is that you will
need a "checkout" before you will be able to take the plane solo. There
are 2 other places to rent but I think they have the same policy.

As far as getting to L08. Call up Clearance Delivery and ask for a
"El Toro Departure" if you want flight following or ask for an "El Toro Local"
if you don't want to talk to ATC. From Runway 19L that's a left turn to
070. For this route you can go direct if you rent a plane with a GPS. You
need to make sure you don't go into the Camp Pendleton restricted areas.

The other route is to take the coast line down to Oceanside VOR (OCN)
then over to Julian VOR (JLI) and you should be able to find the airport
from there. For this route you can get a departure that is a left turn
to 150 degress (if I remember correctly), but I can't remember the name
they give it.

I have never had lunch out in the that direction.

greg

We went to borrego last year after camping at Auga Caliente. which is just a short hop south west of berrego. They have hot springs there and camping near your plane. Definately worth a trip.

river_rat said:
Bruce,

I rent at Sunrise Aviation ( http://www.sunriseaviation.com ) at SNA.
I believe there policy is that you will
need a "checkout" before you will be able to take the plane solo. There
are 2 other places to rent but I think they have the same policy.

Greg,

Thanks for the routing instructions. I'll be renting from the folks at Sunrise Aviation and was aware of the checkout requirement but I'll be taking a CFI with me.

Many Thanks
Bruce

Michael said:
We went to borrego last year after camping at Auga Caliente. which is just a short hop south west of berrego. They have hot springs there and camping near your plane. Definately worth a trip.

Sounds like a cool trip -- wish I had the time to go camping.

Bruce

Last edited:
I went to L08 on my first long XC. I used to go camping out there a lot too. That desert is an awsome place during early spring when they get the desert flower bloom.

If I were you, I'd opt for the shoreline route. It will just give you that much more scenery on your flight. :)

Have fun!

Back