Anywhere to search aviation accidents by engine type?

kicktireslightfires

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
kicktireslightfires
It seems you can search by anything else, even as granular as the number of days since last inspection, but I can't find anywhere to search for aircraft accidents by a specific type of engine. Does anyone know where or how to filter aircraft accidents by type of engine installed on the airplane? Thanks in advance!

It seems you can search by anything else, even as granular as the number of days since last inspection, but I can't find anywhere to search for aircraft accidents by a specific type of engine. Does anyone know where or how to filter aircraft accidents by type of engine installed on the airplane? Thanks in advance!
@wanttaja ??

Search in the Factual Narrative. Two searches, actually. One for the engine make, the other the "core" of the engine model.

I say "core" because if you search for "O-320", you won't find the "O320" examples.

1689195855682.png
Keep in mind, too, that the further-down information might be recorded in other than the expected format, too. An engine may be listed as an O-320-H2AD, or as an O-320H2AD. Add a third narrative search if needed.

Ron Wanttaja

Wouldn't you have to read each report in order to see if the cause of the accident was related to the engine and not that the engine was just mentioned in the report as an aside?

Wouldn't you have to read each report in order to see if the cause of the accident was related to the engine and not that the engine was just mentioned in the report as an aside?
Adding a keyword search for "engine" in the Probable Cause might help eliminate the non-engine-related cases.

1689203598175.png

Note the number of results dropped down to about a quarter of the previous total.

There's no other way that I know of to make the mechanical-issues leap out of the NTSB online databases, and the above method has its problems, too.

It's one of the things that took so long with my homebuilt accident database; I read each accident and assigned a specific cause.
1689203889020.png
Ron Wanttaja

Back