Anywhere in FL to rent a raft?

kicktireslightfires

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
kicktireslightfires
Does anyone know where I could rent a compact 2 person aero raft in Florida for an overwater flight? Buying one would cost $1500-$2000, have to be serviced once per year, and this overwater trip could be the only one I do for years so I don’t want to invest in buying a raft just for one trip if possible to rent one for a week.

Check with the FBO’s at Ft Lauderdale Executive. I’m told that one or more do.
Also refer to the FAR’s to verify if you need a raft…

I rented from the FBO in Fort Pierce when I flew the bottom end-to-end perimeter of the Bermuda Triangle in '21. Fair pricing for a large raft and relatively painless logistics.

A second for the FBO at Fort Pierce, KFPR. The FBO no longer rents them, but an independent company does. But it will be left for you at the FBO & that’s where you’ll drop it too. Super easy process. Fair prices. And of course customs is right next door and the FBO has a restaurant inside. I just did this Dec 22 into Jan 23. Zero issues.

Banyan at FXE rents them, and there's a customs office on the field.

I would try to flight plan the first leg so that you can climb to cruising altitude (9000 min) before getting over open water, if you do this you’ll find that the amount of time not within gliding distance is minimal. You can follow the island chain all the way to southern Caribbean with ever being too far from land.

Fort Lauderdale executive and fort pierce both rent rafts and can assist you with the paperwork for the Bahamas.

Back