Anything worth seeing from the air in Scottdale?

aggie06

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Aggie
I'm going to a wedding in Scottdale in a few weeks, and will have some free time not filled with golf or wedding festivities. When I went to Napa a year ago, I rented a plane and got an instructor to tour the valley and the bay. I'm trying to decide if I should try to set up something similar this time around. Anything to see from the air in Scottsdale?

There are lots of interesting small mountain peaks throughout the PHX metro area, especially to the SSW if you have the time.

How far are you willing to venture? Only 50 miles to Payson and the Mogollon rim. 75 Miles to Sedona. You don't have to go all the way there to get the flavor of it. Of course once you start seeing the red rocks you won't want to turn back.

How far are you willing to venture? Only 50 miles to Payson and the Mogollon rim. 75 Miles to Sedona. You don't have to go all the way there to get the flavor of it. Of course once you start seeing the red rocks you won't want to turn back.
This.

I may be biased, but I'm from the Phoenix area. Not a whole lot to sight-see in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area, plus the Phoenix Bravo and high volume of student traffic kind of put a damper on most scenic flying around the valley itself.

If you want a scenic flight, either fly up north toward Prescott, Sedona or Payson or go east toward Roosevelt lake.

Go to Sedona. Worth the trip. Great restaurant on the field to eat as well.

I was in Scottsdale this time last year. I called one of the flight schools at KSDL , rented a 172 and a instructor. Had a great time flying through the mountains and along the rivers and dams. I took the instructor for added safety and he gave us a great guided tour. Bring something to drink, as it was extremely hot even at elevation, but well worth it.

Last edited:
When I went to Phoenix last year for a convention I went to Southwest Flight Center in Scottsdale (KSDL) and rented a 172 with an instructor and toured the area. I really enjoyed it.

Back