Anyplace in SE PA / West part of NJ for Dessert?

Rob Schaffer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CLR2TKF
Looking for a place to stop with my Wife to give some purpose to the flight,... ok,.. actually I need to get some Romantic Points with her to makeup for some things. :smilewinkgrin:

So, I'm flying out of Wings Field (LOM) tomorrow night (Wed 5/20) and I'm looking for a place to stop for dessert, maybe 20 minutes or so. Any Ideas? I was thinking of Sky Manor, but they close at 6 Mon & Thurs, Closed Tues/Wed. I have the plane from 5:30-8.

Lookin for anyplace within 50nm, due to time at the moment.

Last edited:
mmm only 20 min. Heres my Idea

1) Mailibooz at KRDG. Not Really romantic but its food and about the right distance.

2) Don't land. Pack a small insulated lunch bag with a split of Maritnielli's non alchoholic sparkeling apple cider. Some chocolate covered strawberries and/or someother bite sized treat, Napkins of course, one rose and fly a sunset tour of Center City. PHL approach will let you do it at about 2500' but won't want you to go south of the Stadiums so fly north of the city and fly a right hand gentle circle around the city one or two times. The city is very pretty at dusk. If your taking the Diamond and not the 172 it may be a pain to deal wtih the food so then my recommendation is to fly the City tour and still pack food but eat it on the picnic tables at Wings as the sun sets. It will be beautiful tomorrow eveing. Best of luck!

Looking for a place to stop with my Wife to give some purpose to the flight,... ok,.. actually I need to get some Romantic Points with her to makeup for some things. :smilewinkgrin:

I hope your not making up for taking her to the FlyBQ dinner :D

Hmmm good ideas. I'm taking her up in the Diamond for the first time, as she's been in the Cessna with me before.

I looked at the Chester County restaurant, seems like a good place if we want to get something to eat for dinner and then head back to Wings. I have to be tied down and out of Wings by 8:15 to get home in time to get my daughters from their church program. (Becky's Aunt is picking them up and taking them)

2) Don't land. Pack a small insulated lunch bag with a split of Maritnielli's non alchoholic sparkeling apple cider. Some chocolate covered strawberries and/or someother bite sized treat, Napkins of course, one rose and fly a sunset tour of Center City. PHL approach will let you do it at about 2500' but won't want you to go south of the Stadiums so fly north of the city and fly a right hand gentle circle around the city one or two times. The city is very pretty at dusk. If your taking the Diamond and not the 172 it may be a pain to deal wtih the food so then my recommendation is to fly the City tour and still pack food but eat it on the picnic tables at Wings as the sun sets. It will be beautiful tomorrow eveing. Best of luck!
Hmm,.. sounds like you've been in my shoes before! :blowingkisses: HA HA.. This sounds nice too.... Do you just call up Phili Approach and ask for "Bravo Clearance to do a City Tour, then return direct to Wings Field"? I've only called to fly completely through before, and most times they are accommodating.

I'll see how we are on time when I am done the runup and decide then I think. With the View out of the Diamond, the City tour sounds really good.

Rob,

KLNS is a bit more than 20 min, but you can park at AirWays, walk across the street to the awesome movie theater, or catch a shuttle or walk over to the restaurant which has GREAT cannolis!

By time of 20 minutes, I was referring to time on the ground at a stop. I figure I could go to Hazelton or Schuylkill/Zerby and back for a +50nm XC flight, but that wouldn't be much fun for her to just sit there in the plane the whole time.

I figure checkin at 5:30pm, hopefully done runup and rolling out on 24 by 6pm, which gives me 1 3/4 hrs to fly someplace and back, to tiedown and get home to pickup my kids by 8:45pm.

We have done Lancaster a few times, so this year we are looking to fly south and to southeast Jersey. I think for this flight, I"ll try to callup Phili and get a clearance, if I hear "Remain Clear of Bravo" then I'll head to Chester County.

Thanks for the thoughts and ideas.

Rob just call PHL App on 123.8 and tell them your x miles SW of wings @ X alt and want to do a tour of Center City and would like clearance through the bravo if possible.. If they don't like your alt they will tell you what they can and can't do for you and what to stay clear of. Tell them you'd like to circle center city twice heading south along the Delaware River.

Other option for dessert is the restaurant at flying W.

Flying W Air Resort in Jersey just south of PNE is a great spot. Not sure of the hours but when the restaurant is open, it's superb!

Doylestown is supposed to have a nice nearby restaurant too but I haven't been there yet.

There used to be a map floating around of the the tristate with great places to stop for a bite to eat - plus it had ratings for each stop.

Flying W Air Resort in Jersey just south of PNE is a great spot. Not sure of the hours but when the restaurant is open, it's superb!

Doylestown is supposed to have a nice nearby restaurant too but I haven't been there yet.

There used to be a map floating around of the the tristate with great places to stop for a bite to eat - plus it had ratings for each stop.

I don't think Doylestown has a restaurant

Had a great Flight, Thanks guys!

Full details will be posted on my blog, but here's a quick snapshot.

We left Wings with wind 210 @ 6, and clear blue all around us. I climbed out and flew west, tracking the Modena VOR and climbing to 2500. We crossed the VOR, flag flipped, and I shortly began a turn to the right to cross back over the VOR,.. close,... and I was on my way tracking about the 103* radial outboud. I called up Phili Approach on 124.35 at 2500 feet, and received Bravo Clearance to fly down to the city. The controller asked my intentions, and then gave us a vector about 15* left for traffic and spacing. Back on course a minute later, heading straight to the stadiums. He turned me North, and over the Art Museum and out of the Bravo back to Wings. Very nice flight, and Becky had a good time. Here's a snapshot or two.

The Google Map is here of our track.

We then went up and circled my dad's house just off the Lake. Did some turns here and got Becky a little Tipsy. I was doing about 15*-20* bank, but she was looking down at the ground. I went out over the lake and turned left. She made some comment about the steepness of the turn, and I picked up the right wing to a 45* bank :yikes: . LOL,... only for a second. That was good enough for the night, so back to Wings Field. Entered the pattern, and was SO stable on approach from out past the school. at 60 Knots, seemed like forever to get to the runway, but it was smooth as glass. Touched down just about on the number, and made such a super smooth landing, holding the nosewheel off like soft field landing. Had to be my best in the Diamond to date. :D

Here's the PHL Airport, and Downtown Liberty Place Towers and Comcast Tower.

Attachments

• Philadelphia Map.jpg
    Philadelphia Map.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 13
  • CIMG3755.JPG
    CIMG3755.JPG
    480.9 KB · Views: 13
  • CIMG3766.JPG
    CIMG3766.JPG
    484.1 KB · Views: 15
That's awesome Rob. Glad she liked it. Weatherwise you couldn't have picked a better day.

Did the controller turn you over to tower at all or did you stick with approach?​

I was with approach but he switched me over to a different sector about the time I was at the 6nm ring. That controller then took me outbound to the North. I entered on 124.35, and then was turned over to 123.8.

She had a good time flying, just noticed the bumps,.. which I thought were insignificant, especially after the Wings Weekend when we were flying. But she hasn't been up since last December with me so she noticed everything a little more.

Sounds like a great flight. There were lots of great ideas in this thread--thanks for starting it! The city tour is a cool idea. It is a little out of my way from here, but it would be fun.

Someday, when I get up my nerve, I'd like to fly the Hudson corridor. Daytime first, but night would be sweet, too.

Back 16 years ago, I rode along with my former college roommate on a night flight over Washington, DC. The controllers gave us vectors all over the downtown area. It was incredible. Sadly, those days area gone forever.
________
bho hash oil

Last edited:
Back