Anyone with experience in a Cessna AGwagon???

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
If things work out, I may have an opportunity to do some part time work in a C188 AGwagon (300hp).

Anyone ever flown one? Any thoughts on type?

If things work out, I may have an opportunity to do some part time work in a C188 AGwagon (300hp).

Anyone ever flown one? Any thoughts on type?

I have quite a bit of time in the various models of A-188.

Like any other ag plane, they're easy to fly and have no nasty habits. For your first flight you'll want to get a clear picture of the ground attitude so you'll know what looks right for landing. The gear is tall and stiff.

Loaded takeoff requires the flaps to be in the takeoff position. It will fly at 80.

Depending on your rudder skills, you might want to get some dual in a C-185 or C-180. Later models of 188 had a locking tailwheel to help with the takeoff. I never used one, but it could help keep you on the strip if you have lazy feet.

If you've never flown an ag plane, be ready for the cruise flight sight picture where it looks like you're diving into the ground. Notice on the ground that the nose from the windshield to the prop is level. In flight it slopes down at an alarming angle for a first timer. It's normal to see a first flight in a 188 climbing out of sight while the pilot holds the nose on the horizon like it's a 172.

Me, and the boss, being passed by the loader truck. More ag plane pics.
14999092_ouAPq-M.jpg

I have quite a bit of time in the various models of A-188.

Like any other ag plane, they're easy to fly and have no nasty habits. For your first flight you'll want to get a clear picture of the ground attitude so you'll know what looks right for landing. The gear is tall and stiff.

Loaded takeoff requires the flaps to be in the takeoff position. It will fly at 80.

Depending on your rudder skills, you might want to get some dual in a C-185 or C-180. Later models of 188 had a locking tailwheel to help with the takeoff. I never used one, but it could help keep you on the strip if you have lazy feet.

If you've never flown an ag plane, be ready for the cruise flight sight picture where it looks like you're diving into the ground. Notice on the ground that the nose from the windshield to the prop is level. In flight it slopes down at an alarming angle for a first timer. It's normal to see a first flight in a 188 climbing out of sight while the pilot holds the nose on the horizon like it's a 172.

Me, and the boss, being passed by the loader truck. More ag plane pics.
14999092_ouAPq-M.jpg
Thanks for the insight.

With that long nose, did you find wheel landings better/easier?

Never flown a 180/185, but I own a 170....I imagine it just needs alot more rudder?

Heavy t/o won't be a problem - If I get the job, I'll be towing banners with it.

Thanks for the insight.

With that long nose, did you find wheel landings better/easier?

Never flown a 180/185, but I own a 170....I imagine it just needs alot more rudder?

Heavy t/o won't be a problem - If I get the job, I'll be towing banners with it.

The nose in no way restricts visibility, in fact visibility is way more than most people are used to in flight. I usually wheel land a 188, just because. Seems easier that way.

Left turning tendency is going to be way more than your 170, both when the throttle comes up and when the tail comes up. Lead the throttle with right rudder and be ready with another jab of rudder when the tail comes up.

On landing, your eyes will be quite a bit higher than you're used to. The tendency will be to smack the ground way before you're ready and then bounce.

If you're like most people, the transition to a high performance taildragger will be an exciting time.

Back