Anyone with experience in a 450 Stearman?

Flown the 225 version. I can only imagine the beast the 450 must be. Dusters use that engine a lot, or used to.

Only flown the 450. Feels like a tractor, like the Pawnee it has a lot of oomph and a lot of drag. Never flew a stock one but my buddy has flown the 225, 275, 300, 450, 600hp ones said he felt the 275 was the sweet spot; lighter and more balanced. Dunno what the weight difference is from the Pratt to the smaller radials. There is a fella here in Phx that will do training in a 450hp one if you catch him in the right mood.

The 300 LYC with Ham C/S is the best combo. 450 makes it climb better but it won't go much faster, is noseheavy and uses a lot of gas. The 300 LYC N3N I fly uses 14-15gph and still has the light feel of the stock airplane. Don

Own a stock (220) Stearman, given a lot of dual in 450s, and currently flying a R-1340 powered duster Stearman. They all fly about the same, the difference is during the landing profile, you don't have to carry extra speed, just keep the nose down. Its just a Stearman. You might get a little extra roll out with the added weight, just don't start out with the narrow, short runways you'd be tempted to use in a stock ship. If you have any more questions, feel free to get ahold of me.

I actually moved from WA to NY, so relatively close to VA.

Mike-

stearmann4@msn.com

Back