Anyone want to buzz a see-doo for a change

Iceman

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Chris
Anyone want to buzz a sea-doo for a change?

Just wondering how many people out there would like to try a float plane sometime in the future. I was out at the lake the other day and noticed this plane doing some takeoffs and landings and it looked like fun to me. I'm thinking about chartering a plane on floats in AK and doing some fishing etc.

Anyone else think this looks like fun?

Sorry for the picture quality...the plane was a half mile away and I was shooting into the sun. Can you say a 640mm zoom handheld and then a 100 percent crop on the file :eek:.

Last edited:
Re: Anyone want to buzz a sea-doo for a change?

Iceman said:
Just wondering how many people out there would like to try a float plane sometime in the future. I was out at the lake the other day and noticed this plane doing some takeoffs and landings and it looked like fun to me. I'm thinking about chartering a plane on floats in AK and doing some fishing etc.

Sorry for the picture quality...the plane was a half mile away and I was shooting into the sun. Can you say a 640mm zoom handheld and then a 100 percent crop on the file :eek:.

I think it looks like GREAT fun. In fact, I KNOW it is great fun :yes:
btdt

Summertime does kind of put one in the mood for water activities. I highly recommend getting the rating.

Cool photos, btw.

Iceman said:
Not much use for it in my neck of the woods. :D

Iceman said:
Doesn't look bad. 640? Would that be 200mm x 1.6 sensor x 2X TC? Or do you have something bigger in the bag? And if so, are you using the Canon TC?

Iceman said:

Yeah, I've been toying the idea of going for my PP-ASES this winter. It was a ride into a lake in a PA18 with floats that motivated me to learn to fly.

Brian Austin said:
Not much use for it in my neck of the woods. :D

Doesn't look bad. 640? Would that be 200mm x 1.6 sensor x 2X TC? Or do you have something bigger in the bag? And if so, are you using the Canon TC?

Nope, it's the 100-400 @400 (400*1.6= 640) Also it was cropped about another 3x ~3200 pixles to ~1200.

I do own a 1.4 but it is a tamron. If you do buy a canon make sure you get a series II which are higher quality and weather sealing which helps to keep the dust out. The problem is the canon TC's do not keep the auto focus with most lenses on our pro consumer bodies (you need a 1d or 1ds (I or II)) Keep in mind if you use a TC you loose 1 f-stop for the 1.4 and 2 stops for the 2.0.

Note for above...you can tape certain contacts on the canon TC to make the atuofocus work on your camera (with slower lenses attached). You would need to do the tape trick on your 70-200 and the 2x TC but not with the 1.4x

Last edited:

Iceman said:
Nope, it's the 100-400 @400 (400*1.6= 640) Also it was cropped about another 3x ~3200 pixles to ~1200.
Ah. Forgot about that one.

Iceman said:
I do own a 1.4 but it is a tamron. If you do buy a canon make sure you get a series II which are higher quality and weather sealing which helps to keep the dust out. The problem is the canon TC's do not keep the auto focus with most lenses on our pro consumer bodies (you need a 1d or 1ds (I or II)) Keep in mind if you use a TC you loose 1 f-stop for the 1.4 and 2 stops for the 2.0.

Note for above...you can tape certain contacts on the canon TC to make the atuofocus work on your camera (with slower lenses attached). You would need to do the tape trick on your 70-200 and the 2x TC but not with the 1.4x
I've heard some of it but not all. I was planning on getting the 1.4x but then read something (somewhere) that Tamron or some other manufacturer had a tc that had no autofocus issues with any of the lenses. I did know about the aperture changes. Kinda interesting how the 20D senses it and never lets the 2.8 come up with the tc in place (tried one in the store).

Thanks, Chris. Nice shooting, especially at that range!

RotaryWingBob said:
Yeah, I've been toying the idea of going for my PP-ASES this winter. It was a ride into a lake in a PA18 with floats that motivated me to learn to fly.

Bob,

If you are going to get the seaplane rating at Essington (Philadelphia Seaplane Base 9N2) don't wait for winter, cause they don't fly off the Deleware once it gets cold. Now is the perfect time.

This name and number is a few years old but it is the latest 411 I have for the Philadelphia Seaplane Base

Hank Grentell
856-467-0976
610-521-7710

They have one possibly two Cubs on floats...lots of fun.

Len

I was lucky enough to get my commercial sea plane rating...not much good for nothing other than hanger talk, but I have to tell you it was one of the most fun experiences I have ever had in a plane. Was fortunate enough to do part of it in a Lake and then a Citabra on floats. If you get the chance just to take a few lessons do it..its a blast.

Iceman said:

It sure is a blast. The most fun flying I've done in decades. Cubs off the grass at Hampton NH was alot of fun but that was years ago.

Go for it, its not that hard nor expensive when its an add on.

Len Lanetti said:
Bob,

If you are going to get the seaplane rating at Essington (Philadelphia Seaplane Base 9N2) don't wait for winter, cause they don't fly off the Deleware once it gets cold. Now is the perfect time.

This name and number is a few years old but it is the latest 411 I have for the Philadelphia Seaplane Base

Hank Grentell
856-467-0976
610-521-7710

They have one possibly two Cubs on floats...lots of fun.

Len

That's the info they show on their website.

http://www.geocities.com/base9n2/baseinfo.html

Iceman said:
...Anyone else think this looks like fun?

It sure does. What could be better than combining flying and boating.

Does anyone know why the title to this thread did not change when I edited it (like 30 seconds after I made the thread)? I know everyone already knows that I cannot sepll worth crap but see and sea...man its been a long day.

Nav8tor said:
It sure does. What could be better than combining flying and boating.

Trolling a live menhaden behind the airplane/boat?:goofy:

Frank Browne said:
Trolling a live menhaden behind the airplane/boat?:goofy:

I don't recall where I saw it or what the purpose was but someone had a 180/185 on floats with a trolling motor attached to the front float spreader. Made perfect sense to me.

When I get out of the ongoing disasters any plane I get will not have wheels during the summer and anyone that doesn't like that can walk home.

Iceman said:

Are you kidding ? Go for it.

There's places accross the USA and Canada where you can then rent floatplanes !

i really want to get the rating, i think it would be a blast and if i didnt use it the training would be fun anyways.

Len Lanetti said:
Bob,

Len
Ulterior motive for winter: Philly cold, Florida warm. What a great excuse to go somewhere warm!

Anybody know what the takeoff distance for that bird, on water. is, standard density altitude, calm day?

corjulo said:
Anybody know what the takeoff distance for that bird, on water. is, standard density altitude, calm day?

From where I was standing it was about 15-20 houses :D.

corjulo said:
This is from www.myplane.com. However, I don't know if the takeoff roll and ground roll numbers are from water or on pavement using amphibious landing gear.

Piper PA-18-150 Super Cub (float) (thru '76)

Make: Piper
Model: PA-18-150 Super Cub (float) (thru '76)
Horsepower: 150 HP
Takeoff Ground Roll: 700 Feet
Takeoff Roll Over 50': 990 Feet
Rate-Of-Climb: 830 FPM
Cruise: 90 Knots
Top Speed: 100 Knots
Landing Roll: 430 Feet
Landing Roll Over 50': 730 Feet
Stall Speed (Dirty): 37 Knots
Fuel Capacity: 36 Gallons
Gross Weight: 1760 Pounds
Service Ceiling: 17500 Feet
Empty Weight (lbs): 1190 Pounds
Range: 365 NM

Looks like a blast and I've thought about getting the rating but in reality would not have much use for it. Sigh!

Just bought my new (to me) Lake LA4-200. Absolutely the most fun you can have with your pants on:)

A concerned boater tried to "rescue" me after one of my first landings in the Illinois River. :)

AdamZ said:
Looks like a blast and I've thought about getting the rating but in reality would not have much use for it. Sigh!

Adam,

A little expensive when compared to a straight up BFR but it does satisfy the requirement and you've got another rating on your ticket.

Len

murfpj said:
Just bought my new (to me) Lake LA4-200. Absolutely the most fun you can have with your pants on:)

A concerned boater tried to "rescue" me after one of my first landings in the Illinois River. :)

Congrats. I wish the boaters in the Chesapeake were more concerned, they tend just to drive in front of me no matter what I'm doing.

Have fun with the lake.

Arnold said:
Congrats. I wish the boaters in the Chesapeake were more concerned, they tend just to drive in front of me no matter what I'm doing.

Have fun with the lake.

When I lived in Philly, one of the local news channel had footage of a Lake Amphib landing and taxiing in the Delaware River. They thought the plane had crash landed and was floating. Police were even there. Later they learned that part of the Delaware is the "runway" for the Philadelphia Seaplane Base, the oldest operating Seaplane Base in the U.S. Its only been there since 1913. Sigh.

Back