Anyone using the "Hornet heater" ?

website photo really doesn't help, unless you are supposed to hire that guy to stand there and hold it in front of your cowl openings

Agree with Jeff... Design as shown doesn't look very efficient to transport or keep the warm air flowing into or staying within the engine compartment.

Might work great for snow machines, but aircraft....? :dunno:

This treated me very well over the winter. And it is always with you.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/ezHeater.php?clickkey=3507

I completely killed the battery twice when it started getting cold this winter. Plane would not start.

Added this and no issues starting at all. Coldest flight was 6 degrees and started right up. In a T hanger too.

Edit: That being said, I have heard people state they are not comfortable with just the oil pan being heated. They prefer the hot air blowing over the entire engine block. Works though.

I am going to try one in conjunction with my Kennon cowl cover , I will give you feedback once I try it out

Depending in your cowling arrangement, I wrapped an electric blanket around my engine, a space blanket loosely around that.

For the interior I found a small electric space heater, it had all the fail safes for tilting and whatnot, digital temp range, and it fit right under my panel.

Plugged em both in, worked great well into freezing temps, low power draw and all in I was out under 100 bucks.

OTOH, my company likes the tannis products on our work aircraft.

A 500 watt heater blowing into the cowl inlet is going to take DAYS to warm up the engine. Even if the thing puts all of the power consumed into the hot air stream, that's only 1700 BTU/hr. Contrast that with a red devil heat that puts out nearly 50,000 BTU/hr.

My thought was put it in right after I get done flying, put the Kennon cowl blanket/cover and just leave it on to keep engine bay a constant 70 degrees. I have a portable Surestart "toolbox" propane 12v that I use when in the road but want something for my hanger to keep constant temp to reduce chance of condensation.

Any Thoughts ????

Last edited:
Well I have am back updating my progress in reviewing the twin hornet 22 and twin hornet 35.

I have a fluke temperature guage that keeps track of min/max/average. This week we have had 9 degree nights and 25 degree days and after putting the little twin-22 inside the engine and the cowl blacker after I finished flying last Sunday the engine bay has kept a constant 68.8 degree average with the min being 65.6 and a max temp of 72.8. It does seem to cycle on and off as it's designed so I assume it has a high and low limit thermostat. Now as far as the twin-35 inside the cockpit it does a great job of keeping the cabin very warm, I had it on the floor and was getting 80 degree readings at the little pilot side window So I assumed it was getting a false temperature reading from the cold floor board and hardly cycling so I decided to put in up on a little box and it now cycles but does seem to keep a 75 degree average at that height. The temperature lead of my meter won't reach far enough to get a actuate reading at the floor level. I do drap moving blankets over my roof covering my windows to help insulate the cockpit, not sure that it helps but figured why not.

Overall I am very happy with it and it's nice having my plane ready on a minutes notice and knowing my engine never gets below 65 degrees. The little twin although very quality built it is a tiny little thing being only about 2"x2"x8" and I was less the impressed with its size at first glance but If very much suprised me and it puts out a great amount of heat surprisingly. I guess I would say it is so far my favorite system.

My mechanic has no problem with the system and likes the idea that the engine bay never gets "cold" and says that pretty much eliminates the chance of condensation. I am sure there are a other with different thoughts but thus far it is the best option I have came up with

Back