Anyone use silicone hose for oil changes?

schmookeeg

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Mike Brannigan
I feel like this is the dumbest question ever, but I'm in search of improvement upon my current oil draining situation :)

I have a tight engine cowling. Currently to drain oil, I prefer to sneak up from behind, at the cowl flap -- with a vinyl hose. This requires a rather tight-radius bend to accomplish and the vinyl hose generally does okay.

Lately it's been cold (high 40s/low 50s, so hardly arctic), and the vinyl hose is stiff as a board and completely inflexible. I use a butane torch to 'warm" the end of the hose so it is flexible enough to snick over the quick-drain fitting. This feels... ridiculous and unsatisfying. I'd like to be able to change oil without the use of open flames near my oil buckets and fuel tanks. Plus I am clumsy with fire and will probably self-immolate at some point using this technique.

I'm looking for a very-flexible hose that won't change its flexibility too much in cold weather. The auto shops here sell reinforced rubber fuel/oil hoses but they won't make the tight bend I need easily, and they're really thick for what I need. I know that "resistance to kinking" should be part of my math here too... but I haven't found the happy medium.

"Soft silicone hose" is on my amazon feed today. Are those reasonable for an overnight drain of 10qts? Is there something else I should consider instead? I don't need any sort of psi rating, so most hoses seem like too much to me. Basically I want thin-wall flexible... <something> that will stay reliably attached to a barb fitting. My vinyl hose is disappointing. I suspect because it's chinesium trash bought from home depot.

Appreciate any ideas in advance :)

I have a 90° double barbed plastic elbow in my vinyl hose to make the turn. (I think they come in 45°s as well)
$0.50 Ace Hardware
The tip of my vinyl has a permanent flare in it, probably from leaving it on during the summer for a day at a time, so if fits pretty good.

I have been using black rubber heater hose. 5/8 heater hose for anti freeze coolant. Been using the same piece since 2018.
Bends nicely in all temperatures, has held up well. Fits on the quick drain snugly and holds it open.
Way better than garden hose.

Last edited:
Looking to spend money? Tygon hose is good in the cold and the hot. I’d suggest keeping your hose warm until you need to put it on the fitting. Warm oil will do the rest.

I use a soft/flexible rubber fuel hose from NAPA.

vinyl hoser here. mine stays in the same position which is a bend downward out of the quick drain, through the lpen cowl flap into a bucket. easy peasy.

I’ve got some leftover silicone hose (1/2 ID IIRC) from the home brew rig and it works a treat. Hangar was at 40F on my last oil change and no problems with fit. Now, my ‘quick’ drain with tiny ID and 90 degree bend leaves a lot to be desired. Between the quick drain and harbor aero freight vacuum extractor, I still had a quart plus after an hour of draining but ran out patience.

I have snaked the hose through the lower cowl, but felt guilty not removing the lower cowl for a good visual inspection. It only takes a few extra minutes and I can do it myself siting on a roll around chair using my knees.
IMG_3286.JPG

I have snaked the hose through the lower cowl, but felt guilty not removing the lower cowl for a good visual inspection. It only takes a few extra minutes and I can do it myself siting on a roll around chair using my knees.
IMG_3286.JPG

I like your utility cart. Sadly, lowering my cowlings means disconnecting the cowl flaps from the motor, and removing about 300 screws. It's ideally a 2 person job, about 20mn each x 2 cowlings.

So sloth reigns. :)

Oops, probably should add, about five oil changes in/18 months and no obvious degradation.

Back