Anyone use Challenger K&N Air filters on their plane?

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
No personal experience Ted. My A&P swears by them and has been trying together me to change over to one.

RVs kits come with these filters as standard equipment. They also come stock on Rotax engines.

I use them in all of my vehicles, my 99 Dodge diesel has 310k miles on it, burns no oil.

They are good filters, IMHO. Go for it. :yes:

The only problem is you will have to start doing overhead breaks. ;)

Last edited:
RVs kits come with these filters as standard equipment.

There's gotta be something different between the regular K&N filters and the Challenger filters. The RV uses the ones from the auto parts store which are $10-$20, and the ones I saw on Ted's link are $200.

There's gotta be something different between the regular K&N filters and the Challenger filters. The RV uses the ones from the auto parts store which are $10-$20, and the ones I saw on Ted's link are $200.

From the bottom of the page:
Please note: The K&N name is used for reference and description purposes only. That use is not to imply affiliation, sponsorship, approval, or connection with the K&N Engineering organization.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Let's not go there. :rofl:

I've got one on mine, I like it for the ease of maintenance and the longevity. If you want to see one you know where to find me

I have K&N's on the Hiperbipe, the vettes and the Envoy. If they had one for my lawnmower I,d have one on it to...

Chris

I use them in all of my vehicles, my 99 Dodge diesel has 310k miles on it, burns no oil.

I don't usually equate "burns no oil" to choice of air filter. ;)

Restrictive air filters will suck oil past the compressor seal on a turbo or valve guides on a N/A engine, and crappy air filters will allow enough particulate through that by 310,000 miles, you'll be burning oil.;)

Restrictive air filters will suck oil past the compressor seal on a turbo or valve guides on a N/A engine, and crappy air filters will allow enough particulate through that by 310,000 miles, you'll be burning oil.;)

The key words are "restrictive" and "crappy". Plenty of non-K&N filters that exceed those criteria.

And I've seen morons who don't know what a K&N oil-based filter even is on a land vehicle who allow them to get dirty enough to be quite "restrictive".

Change the regular ones at proper intervals and they do just fine.

I have a K&N in the Yukon and a competitors clone on the Dodge diesel. But I like to tinker and someone else bought them for better airflow on those engines for specific reasons. I didn't buy them. On the Yukon the benefit without changing the engine programming is marginal at best. On the Dodge the former owner also added a computer that can demand far more airflow than the stock engine programming would ever ask for. Lots more fuel, lots more boost. It makes sense on there.

If anything, an oil-based on the 182 would be more restrictive than the fuzzy plastic thing they come with. Probably plug up and become "restrictive" faster in a dirty environment too.

And the fuzzy plastic Brillo pad thing on the 182 definitely filters dirt ok, or we wouldn't have seen a rise in silicon at Blackstone when some FOD cut a tiny hole in ours.

Any filter sitting on the face of the cowl like that one is, can easily suffer the same fate and be rendered inop. Replacing the fancy branded one just adds a higher cost.

Doesn't seem like a good investment to me. Just sayin'. Not for the reasons given anyway. And not on my specific engine with where it's mounted. Maybe useful if one were operating off of dirt and willing to clean it often.

You go through the process of getting an STC, write back with how much time and money it cost you.

Zoom climbs, then. :) :) :)

You've never seen the 310 depart. What RVers consider a zoom climb is what we call "normal takeoff." Horsepower helps. :D

I guess I waited too long to order.

Ted, see if Donaldson makes a filter for your plane.

I've had one of these on my Sierra since last year, haven't had any problems with it.

What does said aircraft max climb at? Never been in a 310.

2,000-2,500 FPM sustained max climb for the first 2,000 ft or so for 2 people and about 3/4 fuel. Colemill conversion and 3-blade props only, a stock one wouldn't do that. At gross, 1,500-1,800.

I put a K&N on the skywagon, and gained a good 1 to 2" increase in MP on take off.

FYI: I read I think in the directions the filter came with, to never use compressed air to blow out, or dry out the filter. Let it dry naturally. I hang mine on the front of the shop floor fan on low and it dry's out pretty quick.

Compressed air will ruin the matrix of the material they say.

Back