Anyone try those fisheye / Wide Angle for cell phone?

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
Anyone ever try one of these?
I see them all over the internet from a couple bucks to $50

I know the phone is no substitute for a "real" camera but when snapping photos in small places (Especially the plane) the camera phone is too close to take much in.

Was thinking about grabbing a set of these on the cheaper end.
Wondered if
1. Anyone had tried them?
2. They were total crap?
3. Does it matter if you pay $2 or $50 (They all look the same)

I don't care about the fisheye but I think the wide angle would be nice if it produces a photo with the same quality as the phone cam alone.

Universal-clip-lens-cell-phone-Fisheye-For-samsung-s3-n7100-s4-i9500.jpg

I bought one. Opened it,used it, packaged it up and returnd it. Wasnt that good.

I compared a $5 nobrand to a $50 Olloclip-or-whateveritwascalled, both produced the same results.

That's good info.
I don't mind throwing $5 away.

The weakest link, atleast on my Samsung stuff, is the lens of the phone. Adding optics in front of it doesn't degrade the quality that much.
Anyone taking photography seriously wouldn't use these addons, but for the random "oh this looks kinda cool this way" shots, they are all the same.

Just as a comparison; here is one shot done with a $5 cheapo-o-matic and one on a $50 brand-o-matic

Cheap-o
gsmacro by https://www.flickr.com/photos/125913631@N03/, on Flickr

Expensive-o
20150921_231036 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/125913631@N03/, on Flickr

Neither have any obvious optical issues, it's just focusing and so on. Not very good shots either, but taken in same (low) light just for sh*ts and giggles.

Last edited:
Mrs PC putting on a little weight? :eek:

One of the CAP cadets has one of those.

Made some decent pictures. Not great, but OK. And you do get a much better perspective inside the airplane.

But the cost is that it's fiddly. And the particular one in question was magnetic, which means it can come off in flight. Which it did.

Back