Anyone Seen $3 Avgas Yet?

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
Just paid $3.55 tonight at LBX. We are still stuck at $4.10 at my home 'drome, TFP.

What's the cheapest you've seen?

Nearby, $3.85, $3.87 and $3.90 at Petaluma, Nut Tree and Byron respectively. Pretty good for CA, thank you low crude price.

2.97 at Kennett mo.

Yep! That's the first one I checked. It's right down the road from me and always has the cheapest fuel in the area. A few miles east, at Caruthersville, it's still over $6. I'll bet they're sellling the **** out of it! :rolleyes:

Yep! That's the first one I checked. It's right down the road from me and always has the cheapest fuel in the area. A few miles east, at Caruthersville, it's still over $6. I'll bet they're sellling the **** out of it! :rolleyes:
This is the part I don't get. Is the price really so inelastic? Why are nearby airports so different?

Our island airport (RAS) finally got tired of selling no avgas, so they dropped the price to 20 cents under the closest airport (my home drome, TFP, just 9 nm away). I bought 100 gallons right away!

Am I alone? Do you search out cheap gas?

Well, the bad part about going to Kennett for cheap gas is...well...stepping foot in Kennett. Not a nice town. It's right up there with Pine Bluff in the most dangerous small town rankings.

I used to do it frequently when I lived in Springfield, Mo and worked in S. Georgia though. It was the perfect place to get fuel on my return trip.

$5.05 per gallon where I teach while the surrounding airports have around $4.30. Airport manager says between cheap/greedy FBO owner and the fact he won't be ordering any more 100LL until late next year some time that the price will not go down any more. :(

So, don't come to KVTA in Newark, OH. KOSU is actually cheaper which is unusual.

David

This is the part I don't get. Is the price really so inelastic? Why are nearby airports so different?

One of the reasons is probably that you need to sell it close to what you paid for it. If you're still sitting on 5k gallons of fuel you bought when the price was higher, then you still have to get your money back. Auto fuel gets used so fast because everybody with a car is sucking the expensive stuff out of the ground and making room for the cheaper fuel.

But that's just a guess.

Back