Anyone see this? KCLE class B shifting about a mile

NorthEast Ohio

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
NorthEast Ohio
It appears as though the FAA has shifted the location of the Class B airspace around Cleveland Hopkins Airport. All of the rings seem to have moved about a mile to the northeast. Foreflight currently reflects the old airspace boundaries, but also the new ones in a light blue thinner line.
There is no NOTAM for this yet.

Not seeing it on my Foreflight. The current rings though do have a slight offset SW of the airport because they are based off the DME from the I-HPI Localizer instead of being centered on the airport. Maybe that is the reason it shifted, to correct for that?

It appears as though the FAA has shifted the location of the Class B airspace around Cleveland Hopkins Airport. All of the rings seem to have moved about a mile to the northeast. Foreflight currently reflects the old airspace boundaries, but also the new ones in a light blue thinner line.
There is no NOTAM for this yet.

It looks like you have both Foreflight’s Aeronautical map and the Sectional selected. It’s common for those to not match ‘exactly.’ Never seen it that far off though. I would err on the side of caution when flying and trying to stay clear of the Bravo until we find out which one is correct.

According to a thread on the Ohio Pilots Facebook group this has been in the works for a while, but ForeFlight and possibly other navigation databases jumped the gun on displaying it. Most likely it will be announced via NOTAM to coincide with the new charts coming out in February.

It makes sense to re-center the airspace, and gets rid of the cutout for the airport that no longer exists. It was convenient before that the surface area didn’t extend over the lake, so if you were over water you could be sure you were clear. Now you need to be a little more careful.

Not seeing it on my Foreflight. The current rings though do have a slight offset SW of the airport because they are based off the DME from the I-HPI Localizer instead of being centered on the airport. Maybe that is the reason it shifted, to correct for that?

Looks to me like Foreflights Aeronautical Map is the boo boo. They did it off of the geographic center of the airport. @John Collins , do you still work for Foreflight?

According to a thread on the Ohio Pilots Facebook group this has been in the works for a while, but ForeFlight and possibly other navigation databases jumped the gun on displaying it. Most likely it will be announced via NOTAM to coincide with the new charts coming out in February.

It makes sense to re-center the airspace, and gets rid of the cutout for the airport that no longer exists. It was convenient before that the surface area didn’t extend over the lake, so if you were over water you could be sure you were clear. Now you need to be a little more careful.

That seems to be the case, Foreflight jumped the gun

Zone Aviation in Cleveland reports:

1. The change in the CLE airspace, as shown in the 12/3/20 database updates, is the result of incorrect coordinate entries on the part of the manufacturer(s). Cleveland's airspace HAS NOT changed, and WILL NOT be changing in the foreseeable future. The FAA has confirmed this.

2. Foreflight has addressed the issue, and released a database download on 12/8/20 that corrects the problem.

3. Jeppesen is aware to the problem, but will not be issuing a correction to their database until the next update cycle, 12/31/20. They have issued an alert concerning the incorrect data.

Back