Anyone remember...

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
Those writing "pads" that had a plastic pencil, a clear sheet, a grey sticky sheet, and black backing. You could write on them and when you wanted to erase the "paper" you would just pull both sheets up and it would clear it away.

Dad and I were talking this morning, and thought those would be great in the cockpit if they could be found anymore.

The wax melts when hot. The wax gets scored when used roughly. The backing warps.
I would suggest a small slab of formica and an erasable marker would do better.

The wax melts when hot. The wax gets scored when used roughly. The backing warps.
I would suggest a small slab of formica and an erasable marker would do better.

Except when I drop the marker I've got nothing to write with. I can always use a fingernail on the other.

I buy pads from Target (have a nice solid carboard back). Always have pens in pockets and in the airplane.

Write what I need to, when the page fills up, rip off, toss in back.

On some longer trips with routing changes the back of the airplane will look like a 7th grade classroom.

Magic Slate. Try the toy section at Walgreen's, etc. Might be Mickey Mouse or Hello Kitty decorated, but they're about the right size for a kneeboard.

Trapper John

What ever happened to a notepad and a pen?

American space program: Spends $1 million to make a pen that will write in zero gravity

Russian space program: Used a pencil

What's wrong with a paper and pen again? ;)

American space program: Spends $1 million to make a pen that will write in zero gravity

Russian space program: Used a pencil

What's wrong with a paper and pen again? ;)
Urban Legend!!

We are so accepting of Urban Legends because they usually conform quite nicely with what we already believe. So nicely in fact, that there is hardly any need to doubt them or bother checking the facts. So we believe that Pop Rocks and Coke are lethal, people are desperate enough that they steal kidneys, there are bodies hidden in the matresses of our hotel rooms, and so on.
For me, such was the case with the NASA Space Pen. The tale, repeated on TV, the Internet, and by most Russians I’ve ever met goes something like this:
The US Space Program spent millions of dollars developing a Pen that could be used to write in zero-gravity. The Russian Space Program opted for another solution to this problem: they simply used a pencil.
The only problem with this perfect metaphor of the two space programs is this: it too is an urban legend. Well, mostly anyway. You see a company (Fischer) did spend $1M (of its own money) to develop the pressurized, zero-gravity space pen. It sold the pens to NASA for $2 a piece (NASA bought 40 of them) but went on to become an enormous commercial success. Who else uses them? Yep, the Russian Cosmonauts. You see a pencil could too easily break and pose a FOD hazard.

http://swfoundry.wordpress.com/2007...n-and-russian-pencil-urban-legend-well-sorta/

EDIT: Oh I see Dan already got it.

Those writing "pads" that had a plastic pencil, a clear sheet, a grey sticky sheet, and black backing. You could write on them and when you wanted to erase the "paper" you would just pull both sheets up and it would clear it away.

Dad and I were talking this morning, and thought those would be great in the cockpit if they could be found anymore.
I remember those and I think you could still find them in toy stores. But as Peggy mentioned that is the issue of wax. Something else you may which to consider is a magnadoodle slate.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Original-Magna-Doodle-Blue/dp/B0006N8Z58

But what I do is actually tie a string to my pencil and attach it to me lapdesk. If I drop the pencil I just reach for the string.

I like my OWT! :D

Point being... why go complicated when simple works? In this case, nothing wrong with a paper and pen for writing stuff down. It works well.

or an etch-a-sketch! "Your airplane while I twist and turn to copy this clearance!"

ED, is being responsible while burning that old 100LL by not using trees for paper note pads.:D

Ed those magic tablets are really only good if its warm, the wax has to be a bit tacky. If its too cool or cold the plastic won't stick to the wax backer and what ever you wrote will be gone.

wooly-willy.jpg

Ed those magic tablets are really only good if its warm, the wax has to be a bit tacky. If its too cool or cold the plastic won't stick to the wax backer and what ever you wrote will be gone.

Ed has told us that heat is no problem in the Comanche. What were his words? Something about getting naked while flying it?:yikes:

A grease pencil and the side of the windshield gives the same result. Just wipe off and start over.

dry erase marker and windows or your arm or hand or whatever.

tattoo-2.jpg

Wire it up the 12V adapter in the plane. Permanent record of your journeys.

(I still like Spike's picture response the best, though).

Back