Anyone remember Winchester Black Talon?

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
I bought a big mixed box of .308 ammo the other day, and it included a few boxes of Winchester Black Talon 180gr FST. I see a few places online touting this as "collector ammo" ...

So, what do you think? I have no desire to keep it as a "collectable" (if it really is) but don't want to be the doofus that shot it up when it should have been saved...

I remember it, good stuff.

The "ranger" is the same stuff minus the black in many cases.

$8.70 for 147 grain SXT 9mm back in the early 90's. Still my load out for home defense....hope they'll work if needed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 13
There is a small store near me that had a box of 20 priced at $80. Collector ammo? Maybe, but talk about ridiculous.

Changed the name due to lawsuit/marketing reasons.

I read a comment on a shooting board that Winchester pulled it in 92(ish?) and shortly after, released a bullet called SXT - speculating SXT stood for "Same eXact Thing" :)

Funny the stuff was banned due to the evil sounding name 20 years ago. Sell it if has any niche value. Hear from folks that follow this stuff that tech has moved on the new defense rounds work better. I'd keep it for a laugh or sell it if you can find someone willing to pay more then current prices for modern stuff.

Back