Anyone read "Stop Acting Rich" from Stanley?

I read one of his books- I think it was the millionaire mind, might have been the millionaire next door. I liked it, I'm going to look for this one and some of his others.

I read it via Kindle.

My review: :mad2: :sleep:

The message is a good one. But you can save yourself the trouble of reading the whole book by picking it up off the shelf, reading the preface, then replacing it and moving on. Matter of fact the preface is highly informative. The rest of the book is highly repetitive, with pages and pages dedicated to the intimate study of the consumptive habits of real and wannabe millionaires.

If I could borrow the Millionaire Next Door, or find it cheap, I'd give it a try, but I wish I had skipped this one.

Here you go, for free:

Don't buy what you can't afford.

Pay off credit cards every month.

Assume your job will disappear in 6 months.

Feel free to send me $20, but as a fellow pilot I'm willing to give you this advice for free.

Here you go, for free:

Don't buy what you can't afford.

Pay off credit cards every month.

Assume your job will disappear in 6 months.

Feel free to send me $20, but as a fellow pilot I'm willing to give you this advice for free.

Or even simpler, in the spirit of the book: live below your current means, earn wealth then live wealthy, instead of the other way around.

Last edited:
Kind of blows holes in the whole instant gratification thing, what's up with that? :D

I guess my main complaint with the book - other then the repetitiveness - is that I didn't read anything I didn't already know, other than there are a lot of millionaires out there drinking two buck chuck ;)

The first two books - Millionaire Next Door and Millionaire Mind - are studies of the habits and mindsets of millionaires.

In MND, he pretty much tells you everything in the first chapter that he's going to tell you later on. He summarizes the typical millionaire early on, then breaks it out in detail.

It's basically a research paper in book form.

If you are interested in the details, it's a fascinating couple of books - and they make you look at the guy in his 50's driving a beat up old pick up in a different light, just like it makes you look at the 30 yr old driving the 2010 'Vette differently.

I don't know if this is true but have heard that books need to be a certain width to sell, for shelf space and assumed value. Hence there are a lot of good ideas that would be best explained in 40 pages but the publishers insist they get stretched to 300. It's an unfortunate waste of time for everyone. Hopefully in time e-books will change that.

Thats fine - you do that now and later you can act like you have to eat alpo 3 meals a day. ;)

not if im lucky, or if im dead. or if my kids win the lottery. oh crap i have to have kids first...

Here's the other view. I couldn't find the original version by John Dawson Read but it's the same song. One of my favorites years ago.

Good living is a habit, live it while you can
Soft sable fur, not rabbit, and superfast cars on mercantile credit
Why worry if the money isn't always real
You're as rich as you feel

Back