Anyone play MSFS 2020?

Yes. https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/41570-hd-forests/ I don't have it, but I have heard it looks good. Keep in mind plugins use up VRAM, RAM and CPU, so if you pile too many on and pile on too many scenery enhancement packs, you are going to need a good system.

I think the problem with XP11 vs FS2020 is that it's looking more like a Unix vs Windows argument. X-Plane11 is better if you put in a little work and buy/download a half dozen expansion packs for weather/scenery/etc. and THEN it will look closer to FS2020. Xplane seems like to go-to for "real simmers" who want to customize everything and have all sorts of side-loaded software to work with peripherals and such. MS2020 just looks good out of the box (after they fixed some of the graphics/geo-mapping hiccups). However, the flight parameters of XP11 are better out of the box than FS2020. I'm sure XP11 will be "fine" just out of the box without the other add-ons, but it's tough to sell that to the mainstream public buying it if they have never done much "simming" before. I dunno, I could agree with different arguments about either side at this point.

I dunno, I could agree with different arguments about either side at this point

I think that's right-on. For folks who just want to pop in and fly around and maybe don't have any point-of-reference in terms of systems or flight model... MSFS is probably really fun. For folks who want a bit of a deeper experience in terms of systems and flight model and who may have some experience flying some of the aircraft represented in real life.... X-Plane is probably better.

Hello everybody! I was hoping you all could help me solve a big debate I have been having on another forum. I have had great interest in aviation since I was a small child. It probably stems from my father, who used to take me to the local, small GA airport next to the town we lived in, in order to plane watch. We would spend hours watching Cessnas, Cherokees, and Piper Cubs take off and land (even saw one's front landing gear collapse on touchdown and the propeller dig into the asphalt).

Anyone, I don't have a lot of air time- just 16 hours of lessons on the Cessna 152. However, I used to play countless hours of Microsoft Flight Simulators since the 3.1 version in the mid 90's. I haven't done much with my aviation passion recently, but am interested in getting the new 2020 Fight Simulator; maybe it will spark a fire that leads to be getting more lessons, who knows?

My question is, for anyone who has played it- have you noticed the landing roll in the game is much too short compared to the same plane under similar conditions in real life? I've watched a ton of videos of people landing in game on YouTube and compared them real landing videos from a cockpit view.

The common objection I have been getting is that casual gamers just smash full reverse thrust and manual braking. But I believe there is more to it than that.

Sorry if this is a boring topic or in the wrong place, but I wanted to get some real pilots' perspective on it!
I think,having never actually used MS2020, but judging from the comments on this board, in other threads, that MS2020 is an improvement in eye candy, but a step down everywhere else, from FSX:SE.

Last edited:
I think,having never actually used MS2020, but judging from the comments on this board, in other threads, that MS2020 is an improvement in eye candy, but a step down every where else, from FSX:SE.

Yup. FS9 is my personal favorite in the series. FSX took several patches before it became usable. FS20 is, I feel, waste of money and disk space for anyone with more than a gaming interest in flight sims.

I have been playing flight sims and a pilot for 30 years and have had them all. None of them will give you the real feel as far as landings. That being said, X Plane has the advantage on flight characteristics. But when you start doing your cross country's, MSFS2020 is the way to go. The latest updates have most of the planes and their avionics working much better.

Back