Anyone own an Arion Lightning E-LSA?

FlyinTN

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Tbird
I am new to this site. I am looking for an LSA. I really like the look and specs of the Arion Lightning. Does anyone have an experience with them? It has a Jabiru 3300 engine. Cost to operate and maintain? Thanks!

Haven't flown one yet, but going to go look at one soon if all goes well, one for sale near me. From what I understand about the 3300 is the older one i.e. prior to 2014-2015 (not sure when) the redesigned the engine due to top end oiling issues which could cause major issues if you missed checking the small "t" in the oil line, if it leaks you could even lose the engine. New engines have more power and run better, so they did more than just fix some oiling issues.

Let me know what you think after you have flown it.

FWIW, the 3300 is an option for Sonex/Waiex homebuilts. Perhaps there's some information on the engine through the EAA.

I don't own one, but I have flown them.
They are fast, nimble, and fly like they are on rails.
You really need to plan your landings so you can get rid of your speed. They are so clean they don't want to slow down.

#1 on my list to own.

Just curious, I am just learning about LSA and I have my PPL, VFR only. I would like to pursue IFR at some point and I do some night flying now. It is my understanding the LSA can't be flown at night or IFR. Two questions:

Are there LSA that do allow for IFR and night planning, and
Is this part 23 FAA new law suppose to allow for newer, maybe less expensive, planes down the road that would meet these desire of night and IFR flight?

Thanks,
Stephen

A PPL can fly a suitably-equipped LSA at night. I had a lot of fun flying the 162 at night last year.

IIRC there was at least one LSA that could be flown under IFR by a rated pilot, as well.

An LSA can be certified and flown IFR if it is experimental and the builder has put no limitations stating otherwise. Many Arion Lightnings were built as EAB. Of course all the required equipment must be installed and operational.

Back