Anyone own a class c motorhome?

Jthamilton

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Okie182
So the wife and I ran across the Renegade motorhome at Oshkosh. I immediately fell in love with it but it just costs too darn much. We have a small camper we pull behind the truck and are considering upgrading too something larger so we are looking!

My initial intent was too park the camper in our hangar if it ever gets finished. I use the camper when I'm on call for the hospital I work for 3-4 days out if the month. Also fueling our decision for something larger is that we have to travel frequently with the kids from spring through the fall with gymnastics and soccer. Hotels and eating out each time is rediculously expensive.

Sooooo...anyone own or owned in the past a class c, what's been your experience? Was it on large diesel chassis or gas?

Have had couple class c on gas and class a on diesel. Also truck campers. I found the class c wasn't as much to maintain as class a. They were good other than beds were above driver. Didn't care for that part much.

I had a couple. Both were gas on a GM 1 ton chassis. I looked at the Renegade product and it's a lot bigger than I used to have. What model are you looking at?

. Also fueling our decision for something larger is that we have to travel frequently with the kids from spring through the fall with gymnastics and soccer. Hotels and eating out each time is rediculously expensive.

Every time I do the math on dragging an RV vs Priceline Hotels and Subway lunches, the math seems to work out better to use hotels and eat out.

Only time using an RV seems to make sense is if there are no accommodations available, or longer stays (all winter in Arizona).

I drug a 5th wheel 400 miles 2 weeks ago for 4 nights in an RV park.

40 gallons of diesel each way is $160 (at $4/gal)., $320 round trip
4 nights RV parking at $32 per night.
$150 trip to Costco for food
$xxx in booze...

Vs...

16 gallons gas at $60, $120 round trip in car/ small SUV
$70/ night for 2.5 - 3 star Priceline. Hotel Room
$75 for Costco snacks for cooler
_______. Dinners out, lunches Subway, Breakfast from cooler
$xxx in booze

I offer to loan my 5th wheel and a PU to employees for vacation, and they all decide the fuel cost doesn't make it worthwhile.

I had a couple. Both were gas on a GM 1 ton chassis. I looked at the Renegade product and it's a lot bigger than I used to have. What model are you looking at?

Not sure, just looking at the options. I like the 450 hp motor. Something no longer then 40 feet. I drove the same unit that was at OSH and it was quite fun to drive. There definitely was a sense of safety sitting up that high! Kids loved it, as they had spent over 24 hours in the truck traveling to OSH.

I'm browsing each brand from Showhaulers, Renegade to Dynamax. The Dynamax really seems to be higher quality when you look at the 2006-2008 years I'm considering.

There is no way I would consider one that is new. However looking at some that have depreciated some I feel like its somewhat justifiable (like the Saratoga):D

Hotels will always be less expensive. What I don't get with that is the same place to stay each time I'm on call with the family. Instead of living out of a suitcase it would be more like small home. We frequent the local state park once a month and sometimes more then that. We do travel quite often, most trips at least 3 hours away. Denver is the cheapest place we stay. Other places are Aspen, Glenwood Springs and Grand Junction once or twice a month.

We're going to upgrade to a larger RV either way and when I do that I'm going to need larger truck which I really don't want to mess with. I like my old 2003 f150 but its not wanting to pull much more then the 20 footer around the mountains here.

Karen and I went through this decision process this year and decided a tow vehicle/travel trailer combo would suit our needs better.

Ended up with a Ford Flex to tow a CampLite 21BHS trailer:

13526073335_e5d262f4b3_z.jpg

So far we think it's been a good choice and have been enjoying our outings in it.

How many kids do you have ?

The only RV like thing I would care to have is a Winnebago Era, Airstream Interstate or similar Sprinter based class B. Fuel efficient and nimble enough to actually go places. The big rigs only seem to take up space in peoples yards, if they move once a year it is a lot. Of course, accomodation in one of those is quite limited, you are not going to spend weeks living in it. For weekend trips, sports events etc. that is not much of an issue.

RVs and boats have that in common, when you travel you have all your stuff with you, it's kinda nice especially with kids.

Gas or Diesel it depends on how much you actually drive it. If you do >7500 miles a year the math may work in the Diesel's favor. If you want one of the big ones, you may not have a choice.

How many kids do you have ?

The only RV like thing I would care to have is a Winnebago Era, Airstream Interstate or similar Sprinter based class B. Fuel efficient and nimble enough to actually go places. The big rigs only seem to take up space in peoples yards, if they move once a year it is a lot. Of course, accomodation in one of those is quite limited, you are not going to spend weeks living in it. For weekend trips, sports events etc. that is not much of an issue.

I've got 2 kiddos, a 10 year old girl and a 12 year old boy. Right now they have to sleep together on the kitchen bed set up. This isn't going to last too much longer. The wife and I would also prefer a better bed room set up, or heck anything resembling a bedroom.

In the last year we or at least I spent somewhere around 8-10 weeks in it a lot of that with my family. That with the current camper being in storage from October thru April. We spent a good part of our summer in it including our 2 weeks around OSH. These larger units have larger water abilities allowing less time to fill which can be difficult to find where I live in the winter.

I'm currently building a 60x50 hangar and intend on keeping whatever I get in it plugged in so I can stay in it the 3-4 days a month when on call. Another issue are the roads all winter. I'm not thrilled about pulling a trailer around in our winter conditions. Set ups like the larger class c's are more capable for our winter conditions allowing the family to use it even more.

Henning is dead on, to be able to just grab some perishable items and go with our clothes already in place.

In the last year we or at least I spent somewhere around 8-10 weeks in it a lot of that with my family. That with the current camper being in storage from October thru April. We spent a good part of our summer in it including our 2 weeks around OSH. These larger units have larger water abilities allowing less time to fill which can be difficult to find where I live in the winter.

Looks like you are getting some mileage out of it then. Just make sure that the bigger unit doesn't stop you from doing stuff you do right now. The problem is that unless you tow a car around, you are stuck without ground transportation at your destination.

I'm not thrilled about pulling a trailer around in our winter conditions. Set ups like the larger class c's are more capable for our winter conditions allowing the family to use it even more.

You need this:

008-unimog-6x6-u4000.jpg

My rig.

2013 Winnebago one 32ft travel trailer bunk house and a 2004 ford 250. Lots of family fun. Truck and trailer stays at a rv park from April until October in the mountains. During the winter it's at my house for camping near home. I don't travel long distances with it. It is used for weekend and holiday weekend getaways. It's our second trailer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
So the wife and I ran across the Renegade motorhome at Oshkosh. I immediately fell in love with it but it just costs too darn much. We have a small camper we pull behind the truck and are considering upgrading too something larger so we are looking!

My initial intent was too park the camper in our hangar if it ever gets finished. I use the camper when I'm on call for the hospital I work for 3-4 days out if the month. Also fueling our decision for something larger is that we have to travel frequently with the kids from spring through the fall with gymnastics and soccer. Hotels and eating out each time is rediculously expensive.

Sooooo...anyone own or owned in the past a class c, what's been your experience? Was it on large diesel chassis or gas?

Motorhome vs tow. I didn't have the truck to pull a 5th wheel and I didn't want to purchase a vehicle for just that purpose so we went with a 34' class A gas rig. We didn't 'camp' as much as we used the rig for a beach condo on wheels. As others have posted, I too hate driving. I drove it a few times a year mostly to from the beach to get set up for the seasonal lot lease.

You can't beat sleeping in your own bed and have the ability to wander out, open the fridge and grab a snack or cold drink with out calling room service.

We have recently sold the class A and purchased a house so my end of season winterization and opening wax detail days are thankfully done. :goofy:

Last edited:
Back