anyone on here from the Billings, MT area?

Adventure

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Adventure
My son is considering bringing a Cessna 150 when he starts in the Aviation program at RMC this August. Would be great to make a few contacts in the flying community before he makes that leap. We've heard there may be some covered tie-downs at Laurel but otherwise hangars there or at BIL are hard to come by. Any suggestions about space or service or other considerations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I’m not from Billings. Drove through it once. So I can’t help.

But I have a question and I’ve noticed this on other threads. Why is it often the parent that writes in and not the child? i am a parent also, I want to do what I can for my daughter, but for the most part, I let her figure it out herself. She needs to learn how life works. I’ve never filled out the first application for her whether it be college or her job or anything. I did once ask a doctor friend if she could shadow him at work. I have offered encouragement and advice. I’ve been to a couple graduation ceremonies, I let her use my old car. But that’s about it.

Not really a criticism just more of an observation.

I’m not from Billings. Drove through it once. So I can’t help.

But I have a question and I’ve noticed this on other threads. Why is it often the parent that writes in and not the child? i am a parent also, I want to do what I can for my daughter, but for the most part, I let her figure it out herself. She needs to learn how life works. I’ve never filled out the first application for her whether it be college or her job or anything. I did once ask a doctor friend if she could shadow him at work. I have offered encouragement and advice. I’ve been to a couple graduation ceremonies, I let her use my old car. But that’s about it.

Not really a criticism just more of an observation.

Helicopters are part of aviation too. :)

Alright guys. While it's true we've taken from him the ability to say he never got any help from his parents (maybe that's your background?), to be clear he's worked hard and made sacrifices to be able to take out a loan and purchase his own aircraft at 18 years old. There's plenty of details to stress over in order to pull this off on top of still being in his senior year of high school. He called Laurel and Billings airports on his own, that's how we know about the covered tie-downs at 6S8. If he was a forum member (and POA was more like Snapchat or Instagram) I'm certain he'd have asked here himself. Truth is he might be embarrassed to learn I'm asking for him now. Just trying to reduce the risks as best I can since it's free to ask on here and always good to know people. Hopefully you'd do the same. My wife and I have worked hard to give our only child the best upbringing we possibly could - but helicopter parents? Never been called that before.

I apologize, I actually did not mean to offend this time. It was just an observation. Perhaps I should’ve made the observation in a separate thread

I've only landed and overnighted at Billings once. Unfortunately our resident Montanan passed away a year or so ago. I do believe we have one more here from the northeast of the state. I'm not aware if any active folks from Billings here.

I would have no problem asking for my child if This were the circumstance… sometimes it’s a matter of access and the right question…my kids are plenty tough and figured it out.

Back