Anyone Maintaining a medical with current/existing medical problems?

pilot J93

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
pilot J93
are there any pilots on here with medical conditons such as ankylosing spondylitis ..rheumatoid arthritis or any thing related to those conditions..but still maintain their medical??

ok..does anyone know of any pilots / friends flying with existing medical probs?

There are several people who have gone the special issue route - as you would find if you were to browse through the medical topics.

There are others who have decided it's not worth jumping through all the FAA medical hoops just for the sake of having a back seat.

Yes, but I can't disclose. They certify perfectly nicely, with a letter each year.

Only Orencia is unacceptable to the FAA.

:)

I am maintaining a class 3 with insulin-dependent diabetes. What do you want to know?

I have two conditions I must address. One is sleep apnea. I see the doctor annualy with sleep machine logs and with a brief checkup he will hopefully write positive comments that the FAA evaluates and approves.

The leaky heart valve is less subjective. I undergo a yearly echocardigram and the results either are passing or not. So far, they (two of them) have allowed me to get the III class. Life if great.

are there any pilots on here with medical conditons such as ankylosing spondylitis?
Yep. Didn't need a Special Issuance for many, many years until things changed with the FAA in the past year or so. My SI for ankylosing spondylitis, when issued last year, was good for two years. For my flight physical, which I passed a few days ago, I had to take a letter from my treating physician addressing condition, limitations, prognosis, meds and side effects, etc. Next year I need another flight physical and the SI will need to be addressed again.

How about Kennedy's Disease anyone certified with that?
I hate to try and lose SP.

There are times that it is a good idea to schedule a consultation with an AME that specializes in difficult cases. Even if it means flying half way across the country.

wow :) at diana thats so kool that you feel with it and don't let it limit you!! im about to start flight skl next month once i pass my medical...and i psych myself out tinkin i wont pass my medical..for a lil issue...(wen every1 including doc Bruce said i should be ok) but ur success story encourages me:)

are there any pilots on here with medical conditons such as ankylosing spondylitis ..rheumatoid arthritis or any thing related to those conditions..but still maintain their medical??

I have a SODA. I bring it to every medical and it exempts me from some of the testing.

I have MCTD which is an autoimmune disease in the same family as RA and Lupus. At one time I was taking methotrexate which has a a lot of toxicity but am now well controlled with a low dose of Plaquenil also known as hydroxychloroquine. I am seen by a Rheumatologist every year who writes a letter that I am doing fine with no limitations or side effects from the medication. I also get a complete eye exam annually to prove that I don't have any vision problems from the Plaquenil.

Last edited:
I have a buddy that has diabetes and maintains his 3rd class medical. He must test his blood sugar 30 mins before landing and submit a mountain of paper work, but he takes it all in stride and deals with it. The thing he dreads the most is the stress test every few years, but even that is no big deal anymore.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back