Anyone live in a fly-in community?

When they say turf in good condition, does that mean (in golf language): smooth like a green, a fairway, or something else?

Buchan Airport (X36), near Venice, Florida and Put in Bay (3W2) on an island in Lake Erie near Toledo are other public use airports with residential through the fence operations.

I'm at 32GA. No approach procedures, but 3 airports with procedures all within 15 miles.

Quality of the neighbors first, and quality of the HOAs second. Everything else is after that.

I've seen some real antics (and not the good kind) and some very militant HOAs. Neither of which I want to be associated with.

Buchan Airport (X36), near Venice, Florida and Put in Bay (3W2) on an island in Lake Erie near Toledo are other public use airports with residential through the fence operations.

While looking near 3W2, my wife found this funny...

i-bfT7fhw-S.jpg

So does Kindred, ND (K74).

Only one or two hangar homes last time I checked. Public airport with GPS approaches and winter plowing.

I got two work acquaintances who live in communities with access to a grass strip. One doesn't even have an airplane, and I don't think the wife will ever get on board. Good on him for pressing the issue by moving to an airpark though, I just don't think the "field of dreams" trope actually works in real life. 'A' for effort though, feel for that guy....

I have national median housing costs so that i can afford a small airplane, so airpark living is by default a non-starter. For us, especially after the kid no longer needs the school district, we should have the ability of get really close to the airport without concern for commute and schools, and emulate the benefit of airpark living. 90 percent solution type of thing. If money were no object of course, having my own runway would be choice.

Back