Anyone land at FFA?

MarcoDA40

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Marco
Whats up guys,

thinking of going over to FFA Friday and staying overnight and returning Saturday.
Has anyone landed there? I've heard stories about how windy it can be.. just looking for some tips or some personal stories

Thanks!

It's a great airport for obvious reasons! Only thing is you can't leave a plane overnight there. You have to fly just South of there, KMQI to find an overnight spot for your plane.

It's a great airport for obvious reasons! Only thing is you can't leave a plane overnight there. You have to fly just South of there, KMQI to find an overnight spot for your plane.
Actually just looked it up, they must have changed their policy in the last few years. It does look like you can park there for 24hrs now! That would be fun! I might have to make the 5hr trip again.

Wasn't very windy when I was there. The runway is pretty well boxed in by trees so while it may be windy on the approach it will likely be calm at the runway surface. When I was there the runway numbers didn't match foreflight but that was a year or two ago.

Yep, a very cool place to visit! It wasn't windy when we went there, but as I recall it was in the early evening.

It might be more so in the next few days due to hurricane Chris, so watch out for that before you go.

Been there three years ago. Signed the book and headed out. There is a nice airport across the water (KEDE) if you need a place to stay.

Just landed there about 3 weeks ago.

It was around noon-ish, so the daytime winds/turbulence had kicked up, and the trees completely change things when you get close to the ground. I wouldn't want to learn to land there (like the Wrights had to! :eek: ) but it wasn't overly challenging IMO.

It's very cool to lift off just a few hundred feet from where they did.

Just fly the plane. You’ll be fine. The trees block much of the wind unless they have cut down a bunch of them. The third flight marker is the most important one since that’s where my wife made the worst decision of her life.

Hotels are an easy walk from FFA. Walk up to the Wright monument and down the other side and continue two blocks.

The trees do moderate any crosswind, but if it is too high you can go to Dare County only 6nm away and wait for better conditions. Dare has two sets of runways, so one of the four directions should work.

Last edited:
We have been there - for a day trip in 2010 and just after we got our tickets. We were flying on our temporary licenses... Not overnight though. There are some hotels in walking distance though.

Back