Anyone know of Parker Engines in Houston?

Code90

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Code90
While shopping, have seen a plane with a recent motor overhaul by Parker Engines in Houston. Does anyone have experience with them? Are they a big outfit / likely to do overhaul right, or a shade tree group doing one motor a year?

While shopping, have seen a plane with a recent motor overhaul by Parker Engines in Houston. Does anyone have experience with them? Are they a big outfit / likely to do overhaul right, or a shade tree group doing one motor a year?

My google-fu tells me they are at Houston Southwest and operates as Parker Aircraft...

Do you any knowledge of them otherwise? Should I look at an engine overhaul done by them with suspicion or are they a bigger outfit?

why do you think that size of a shop has any bearing on the engine ? Unless there is a warranty still in effect, why do you care ?

There was a man by the name of Parker who ripped a bunch of people off on a new engine he was building or designing.
I believe his name was Tom Parker from southern Illinois. I wonder if this is the same "Parker"

why do you think that size of a shop has any bearing on the engine ?

Ditto.

The size of the shop isn't necessarily proportional to quality.

There's a local mechanic here in SE MO who does a great job even though he only overhauls one or two engines a year.

Conversely there are a couple of larger shops in areas I've lived that I wouldn't send my worst enemy to.

It's a crapshoot really, at least without either talking with a long list of customers or having first-hand knowledge.

Last edited:
Its no wonder people sell off their engine when its a few hundred hours from TBO and just buy new.

Tony

Its no wonder people sell off their engine when its a few hundred hours from TBO and just buy new.

Tony
or they rebuild them themselves. I did mine a couple winters ago. It took took about 3 months since I sent out the case and crank for machining and inspection and then worked at my own pace when they came back. Put in new cams and new lycoming cylinders. Got throught both O-360's for a little over 12K each not counting my labor. That just shows how much the parts for a proper overhaul cost. For a shop doing your overhaul, add in labor, overhead, insurance, warranty reserve, and I think you can see that a shop charging 20k for a 4-cyl lycoming overhaul isn't getting rich, far from it.

Back