Anyone know a good place to rent a life raft?

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
Heading to Cozumel for an overnight trip at the end of the month. Planning on crossing the New Orleans route, about 500 nm over water. Would like to rent a raft for that highly unlikely event that I would need to use it. I've never had to rent a raft before, so I'm not familiar with anyplace to rent one from. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

Banyan Fort Lauderdale Exec...call them..they have you covered...

Are you flying a single?

What do they typically charge to rent one? I know they seemed to be very pricy when I looked at buying one...

Are you flying a single?

What do they typically charge to rent one? I know they seemed to be very pricy when I looked at buying one...

I occasionally spot them used at a reasonable price. If someone is interested in buying one, I'll keep my eyes out. I bought a 12 person in a valise for $650 a few years back, and the Dania swap meet is coming up...

What kind of maintenance ($$$) is required on them?

What kind of maintenance ($$$) is required on them?

It depends which one you get, how you want it packed, what you want packed in it, and what certification you want/need on it. For a part 91 aircraft, $0 is required. If you store it nicely and have a valise pack, no survival gear inside, and require no certificate, you can get by with about $350 every 5 years and have decent reliability.

Banyan Fort Lauderdale Exec...call them..they have you covered...

I'll give them a call. Will they mail me one to Ohio? I'm not going through FL.

Amazing how having kids changes things isn't it?

On previous trips I had one I could borrow.

Are you flying a single?

Umm... no! :D

But that doesn't mean you can't have an issue that would require ditching. Would be really crappy to survive ditching and then die because I couldn't keep treading water.

They are expensive to buy and also need serviced. I have no idea of rental rates, but for how rarely we need one, there's no reason to buy one.

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Heading to Cozumel for an overnight trip at the end of the month. Planning on crossing the New Orleans route, about 500 nm over water. Would like to rent a raft for that highly unlikely event that I would need to use it. I've never had to rent a raft before, so I'm not familiar with anyplace to rent one from. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

Going that route... There will be oil /gas drilling rigs about every mile or so.. And dozens of boats too... You can glide right next to any of them if the fans quit and get rescued in about 30 seconds...:yes:.....:rolleyes:

I've done the route before and while there are 5,000 rigs in the gulf and no shortage of boats, I sure saw a whole lot of water where I couldn't see a boat or rig. :)

I've done the route before and while there are 5,000 rigs in the gulf and no shortage of boats, I sure saw a whole lot of water where I couldn't see a boat or rig. :)

;)

We cross HEVVN and can see dozens of boats, rigs etc..... Gliding to one of them is not an issue......

We cheat a bit though as we are at FL450...

And headed back to the 101 westbound there are tons of places to "crash and splash"...:D

Going that route... There will be oil /gas drilling rigs about every mile or so.. And dozens of boats too... You can glide right next to any of them if the fans quit and get rescued in about 30 seconds...:yes:.....:rolleyes:

Not all the way though.

Back