anyone involved in inestment banking / finance / management?

ESbuilder

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
lkasjdfk;ldsajf;lkadsj;flkasdj;lfks
i'm studying aviation (I know bad choice) and graduate May next year, then get commissioned in the Marine Corps shortly thereafter w/ a flight contract... i was wondering that the prospects would be for someone in the business world with a MBA or grad degree in finance just coming out of the military (I know it's 8-10 years down the road... but just wondering)

i'm studying aviation (I know bad choice) and graduate May next year, then get commissioned in the Marine Corps shortly thereafter w/ a flight contract... i was wondering that the prospects would be for someone in the business world with a MBA or grad degree in finance just coming out of the military (I know it's 8-10 years down the road... but just wondering)

One of the best answers in the business world -- "It depends." :D

It really all depends on the business climate at the time. Even though the economy is supposedly in the crapper right now, the Operations & Supply Chain Management department I am enrolled in has companies chomping at the bit to hire our graduates next spring. Finance has been a big market within the past few years - how well that holds up post-mortgage bust can only be told in time. Either way, you'll never go wrong in getting a higher degree under your belt - especially if Uncle Sam is footing the bill for it.

If you find someone that can tell you definitely what the business climate will be in 8-10 years, please ask them what their secret is, then market it to the masses and live comfortably for the rest of your life. :)

Whatever is available, those tickets can't hurt. In the meantime, investigate as many of the industries as possible to see which areas you like (or think you will like) best. During a 40+ year career in related fields (big-8 accounting & MIS, securities, investment banking/special products/syndication, hedge funds and aviation consulting/acquisition) I've been involved in many different aspects of that world. Except for aviation, the sharp kids coming into all those fields have usually been able to find a job and succeed. Forecasting what the market will look like 10 years out is impossible, but based on what we know now you should be an attractive hire.

The answer is "maybe".

The general path into investment banking is through entry level out of MBA school. Why? Because it's as brutal if not more brutal than being a first/second year associate in a big law firm. There are very, very few people that have the tolerance for that kind of work at 8-10 years out.

That said, it IS possible to break in in certain ways - mostly it's about who you know & how you can get the specific experience they want.

My path took me from engineering to consulting (strategic & regulatory) to MBA to corporate development/finance to corp dev/finance/COO. I came up in the corporate side, as opposed to the investment bank side.

That said, with the right connections and the right amount of time, there could be a place for you with the firms that deal specifically with military/government services. I know several ex-military folks that are now working in the private equity and IB world as advisors to the firms so they make good investments.

PM me if you want to talk one-on-one.

bill

I left the Army with an Associates degree. Was lucky enough to be hired as a stock broker. That's really a sales position, but as I built a sales business, it became clear I wanted to run my own business. I took professional courses: got my Series 7 license; CFP designation; constantly improved my education. Began investigating RE partnerships in the due diligence arm; wound up becoming the president of our general partner in RE partnerships. When the RE market tanked in the late 80s, I went back and finished my undergrad; then, went to UT for my MBA.

I think the key is to keep working on your qualifications in the business in which you like. As you learn more and grow, opportunities will present themselves. Where preparation meets opportunity, one can excel in their chosen discipline. Some folks do it right out of school. I wasn't ready for that. The Army developed leadership skills and determination in me. Later, bringing that to bear on my area of interest, I was able to get where I wanted to go.

So, my advise is focus on an area. If you really like it, keep working on improving your skills in that area. Take a position that may not initially be what you want to do but will improve your skills and give you exposure to that area. At some point, you'll find a place where you want to be. I also did that in the Army: got my fixed wing, commercial instrument rating on my own at night; took officer development courses.

Best,

Dave

Back