Anyone in the Phoenix area - KDVT or KSDL?

Bryan Archambeault

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bryan Archambeault
Going to be visiting a friend in the Phoenix area in October this year. They live near Carefree, but I talked to the manager at 18AZ and since it's a private airport, they will only give permission to land there if you live there, or if you are staying at one of the two resorts there, which I am not.

So, KDVT and KSDL are the next closest places to meet. Any of you with local knowledge of the place prefer one over the other for any particular reasons? Looks like KDVT has the reputation of the "busiest GA airport", so should I avoid it in favor of KSDL?

I'm based at DVT. It's busy, but I would choose DVT over SDL for GA hands down.

It can be intimidating, but the controllers are great. Lots of foreign students mixing it up with warbirds and corporate traffic, along with just plain ol' GA.

The FAA did a great video on DVT as part of its Runway Safety series.

https://www.faa.gov/airports/runway_safety/videos/dvt/

So then I guess my next question would be: Is there a certain place my friend should meet me? Do they just go to the terminal, and when asked by ground, do I just request transient parking, or something in particular to make meeting up easier?

How long you staying? If just for the day, there is transient parking in front of the terminal. Not sure what the time limit is though.
Self serve fuel on the north side.

Like @Rgbeard said, Cutter is good, but you can also park in front of the terminal building. There used to be roof access on top of the restaurant so your friend can watch you land. I don't know if that's still open.

Have them meet you at the FBO. Only one. Cutter. Good people.
So I'm assuming there's parking on the public side of the FBO, and then they can just come in the front door and meet us in the lounge or something?

How long you staying?
Just for lunch. We'll be stopping at DVT on our way to SEZ.

Pretty sure the restaurant at DVT is closed. Transient parking is directly in front of the terminal. There’s a pedestrian gate. ….if you want to avoid FBOs…

Oh. There's a restaurant on the field? So, can we park there and meet them there and then just have lunch? That sounds the easiest.
Not any more. It shut down a while ago (Covid?). I just read on a PHX Facebook site that the city council just approved a new restaurant to reopen there. Timeframe TBD.

https://www.phoenix.gov/newsroom/district-1/2303

Some good options around (~20 minute drive) if you need ideas.

I get into DVT about 6 or so times every winter, the last was about 1 month ago.
SDL is busy with lots of corporate and a mix of smaller GA.
DVT is no longer busy because the large flight school (airline puppy mill) moved to a field on the west side of town. It used to have a dozen planes in the pattern all day doing touch and go's. It was always tough to see and dodge all the Warriors and Seminoles in the pattern for the parallels.
Add the delays for an IFR release because of the pattern work and it was a real pain. Now it's much quieter and has normal traffic.
You can still park in front of the restaurant and I think you can get through the gate into the building, but the restaurant is closed. Cutter FBO is right next door, 100 yards away and probably has cheaper prices than SDL.
Carl on line service has always been great to us, and he's Irish.

IMG_7774 (1024x677).jpg

Last edited:
Agree with all that Deer Valley is a better stop than Scottsdale, unless you have money to burn. If you are going to buy fuel anyway, I would just go to Cutter, where there is a pleasant area for whomever arrives first to wait, and it is easy to find with parking just outside. If you don't need any services, then as said park in front of the terminal, and it should be easy to see how to get out and back in. Too bad the restaurant closed. It was really good.
Jon

I'm headed to KCHD next week for a few days, any tips?
CHD is another one that can get really busy with the helicopter school there. Unfortunately, there was a fatal midair between a helicopter and a GA plane there several months ago. Keep your head on a swivel.
The restaurant is well worth the trip into there.

I'm headed to KCHD next week for a few days, any tips?
Try the Hangar Cafe if you haven't already. Greasy Spoon/Diner type cafe - insane lines on the weekend.

KCHD is definitely much busier on weekends and mornings at this time of year (but less so than KSDL, maybe on par with KDVT). Midweek, it's manageable. It's manageable on weekends too, just busy. In most cases (most calm weather), they'll keep planes on 4L/22R to keep separation from the helicopters (which use Taxiway C off of 4R/22L). If helicopters aren't heavily using the 4R/22L pattern, they'll use 4R/22L based on traffic needs.

I requested T&Gs this past weekend at a peak hour as the weather was nice; initially they responded with an unable - so we amended with Full Stop. 2-3 minutes later they called back and offered clearance for T&Gs ... their tower staff is really good IMO.

I get into DVT about 6 or so times every winter, the last was about 1 month ago.
SDL is busy with lots of corporate and a mix of smaller GA.
DVT is no longer busy because the large flight school (airline puppy mill) moved to a field on the west side of town. It used to have a dozen planes in the pattern all day doing touch and go's. It was always tough to see and dodge all the Warriors and Seminoles in the pattern for the parallels.
Add the delays for an IFR release because of the pattern work and it was a real pain. Now it's much quieter and has normal traffic.
You can still park in front of the restaurant and I think you can get through the gate into the building, but the restaurant is closed. Cutter FBO is right next door, 100 yards away and probably has cheaper prices than SDL.
Carl on line service has always been great to us, and he's Irish.

View attachment 106122
Did puppy mill move to Glendale?

Did puppy mill move to Glendale?
If that's on the west side then I think that's where they moved to. Instead of one or two busy schools there's one of the smaller ones left, at least that's my impression.
There is a noticable difference in the amount of traffic from before. Looks like I'll be back there again next week and finish out the owners winter season down there.

Back