Anyone in the Los Angeles area?

ucladave

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
ucladave
Hello everyone,

I'm a new member to this forum (not new to forums in general though!) and it looks like this is my introductory post. Quick background on me, I live right by the Santa Monica airport and though I earned my private ticket by 20 I have done very little flying in the past 10 years. Marriage and a daughter changed everything, but my 20 year old self would be sick to his stomach to see me not up in the air more.

So, I thought I would reach out and see if there was anyone in the LA area that might like a flying buddy. I'm private, multi, inst rated so if you hate flying buddies and just need an IFR safety pilot I can work with that too :wink2:

I'll pour on a little more information as well, though I may start a new thread about this part: One of the reasons I don't fly that much is that I am renting at KSMO. There isn't a lot of choice there, and the prices are high. As a renter the daily minimums kill all hopes and dreams of flying up to the bay area for vacations etc. I would love to find a partnership/rental/club in a 4-6 place aircraft where I could actually fly 500 miles away and stay for a week. If anyone has any advice on this I'd love to hear it!

Welcome to POA!

The City Fathers in Santa Monica would like to see the airport closed. They don't like GA or small jests there. That makes it kind of tough for flight schools to make a living there and then you would have competition which would help keep the prices down.

I'm in LAS, NV. Can't help much with finding an aero club in SMO or the airports nearby. I'm sure someone will be along soon that can help.

Again, welcome to POA!

Come to KVNY or KWHP! Van Nuys claims it's the "busiest airport in So Cal", meaning number of planes, not passengers. I fly out of KVNY, and it has really helped me learn radios. 16R is LONG. 16L is SHORT (at least for landings due to threshold displaced toward the middle.

I am interested in a Cirrus SR22 partnership and am looking around. Also considering an SR20.

I'm based at El Monte. Good little airport with a decent restaurant on. Best on-airport restaurant is Camarillo. Welcome to the LA basin, some great flying to be had here.

Come to KVNY or KWHP! Van Nuys claims it's the "busiest airport in So Cal", meaning number of planes, not passengers. I fly out of KVNY, and it has really helped me learn radios. 16R is LONG. 16L is SHORT (at least for landings due to threshold displaced toward the middle.

I am interested in a Cirrus SR22 partnership and am looking around. Also considering an SR20.

I've actually done quite a bit of flying out of VNY and wouldn't be opposed to flying there again. SMO happens to be across the street from where I live so I can literally walk across the street and be there. I would prefer that, but open to VNY as well.

I have definitely had my eye on a Cirrus partnership, though I would prefer the SR20. I cant justify the higher purchase cost for the kind of flying I'd be doing. The two front runners for me would be an sr20 or a Mooney M20J 201. I'd love to hear more about your partnership goals, maybe we're a match!

Just saw your post UCLADave. If I buy, it will be a Cirrus. The overall accident rate is not that great, but when you remove the variables (e.g., pilots going places they shouldn't go), it's a safe plane. The parachute is a great comfort when flying over urban LA where off-airport landing sites are very hard to find.

Let me know if you find a Cirrus partnership. I fly out of KVNY as well. I love it to bits.

I am out of KCCB cable (Upland). We have a great flying club with decent rates. Kinda far from SM tho. I love flying to SM and walking to spitfire for lunch:yes:

Welcome. I don't know how Long Beach Flying Club is anymore, but they used to be a good deal. Have you considered putting up notices at SMO looking for a partnership, either existing or starting a new one?

Welcome. I don't know how Long Beach Flying Club is anymore, but they used to be a good deal. Have you considered putting up notices at SMO looking for a partnership, either existing or starting a new one?

Hello everyone,
As a renter the daily minimums kill all hopes and dreams of flying up to the bay area for vacations etc. I would love to find a partnership/rental/club in a 4-6 place aircraft where I could actually fly 500 miles away and stay for a week. If anyone has any advice on this I'd love to hear it!

Air-Spacers @ SMO. buy-in is a little steep, but everything from a 172 to 210.

Just checked some of the schools in Santa Monica wow the prices for instructors are way more than NYC its 35-45 at most in NYC I cant believe its 65 - 75 even more on some of these sites. I will be there next week looking to get up in like a 152 or something.. Anyone want to go up Say Tuesday - Thursday ?Or know of a good school to go rent a 152 or 172

Airspacers has turned into an awful club. One of the board members has taken ahold of the entire club and made it his own. Couple of the members have even created a website devoted to removing this person from the club. Adammustgo.com I would suggest getting to know more about Airspacers and Adam Rosenstein before joining. Hopefully the younger members can remove this clown completely from the club.

Back