Anyone Here Scuba Dive?

Hint: Clear your ears proactively. About 3ft down, try to gently equalize early. A few feet later do it again and so on. Waiting for it to hurt is "flaring to late". What's really cool is going from 40ft to 60ft won't be nearly as bad. Eventually you'll be surprised how fast you can descend...like fast.

Sounds like we need a "POA Fly in then Dive in" somewhere.

I vote Key Largo....or anywhere Fl. Since diving is really the only reason to visit that place...

+1 I've never dove in Florida. Or maybe North Carolina to see some Tiger Sharks. Or maybe a ragtag sortie to some remote Bahamas cay:)

Yea I agree, I guess I just saw my instructor not having any problems and expected the pain to go away quickly. I'll DEFINITELY make sure to take it slower tomorrow.

Your instructor can at this point probably mostly equalize by just shifting his jaw a bit. You'll get there eventually but don't follow him - just equalize where you need to for yourself.

Your instructor can at this point probably mostly equalize by just shifting his jaw a bit. You'll get there eventually but don't follow him - just equalize where you need to for yourself.
\
That's pretty much exactly what the instructor said :)

Yea I agree, I guess I just saw my instructor not having any problems and expected the pain to go away quickly. I'll DEFINITELY make sure to take it slower tomorrow.
As others wrote, once it hurts you've gone too far. Going farther will not make it better, and unlike in an airplane, your ears likely won't clear on their own. I start doing valsalva on the surface, and every few feet on descent. If you start to feel pain, you must go back up a few feet. Ask your instructor what hands signals you should use for a slow ear, and use it. Slow equalizing is common, so don't be embarrassed. But you will be sorry if you just "suck it up" and push through the pain.

Also, there may be a reason an ear is difficult to clear, like a stuffy sinus passage. If you force it to clear and get down, you may well have a reverse squeeze on the way back up. The only solution for a reverse squeeze is to sloooooowly ascend, and air supply or decompression obligation may make that impossible.

Long Hose & Short Hose w/Necklace vs. standard octo clipped away someplace:

During my dive training one of the Instructors was a old Navy diver and then commercial diver. He is also about 70lbs bigger than me and quite well built. We were talking about out of air situations. He looks right at me and said "I'm bigger and stronger than you. If I run out of air and panic, that regulator in your mouth will become mine. I see it and know its working and I need air now. My will to live is gonna eventually trump protocol and logic and go with whatever will work."

My first instructor was a Navy diver too. He taught to give someone the regulator from your mouth, then you pick up your octo. So, where the octo is doesn't matter as much because you'll be the only one that has to get it.

My first instructor was a Navy diver too. He taught to give someone the regulator from your mouth, then you pick up your octo. So, where the octo is doesn't matter as much because you'll be the only one that has to get it.

Well, the Hogarthian diver will argue that the location of the octo does matter. It should be in a protected and secure location where it won't snag on an obstruction or pick up silt and mud. It should be accessible with either hand or no hand at all. It should be easy for the diver to momentarily switch to it from time to time to ensure it's working properly.

Carrying the octo on a necklace under the chin satisfies all these criteria. Most other methods do not.

Day 3: I got certified! We did 3 open water dives today out to different boat wrecks. This morning they were predicting 6-8ft waves so I was a bit weary when we were going out. It turned out being better than predicted perhaps "the calm before the storm"(because there's a tropical storm hitting tomorrow night). There were 6ft swells occasionally, but it was easy to get in and out of the boat between those swells.

I went much slower today to allow ear equalization, I was the slowest one out of the group, but hey, no ear pain! On the 3rd dive I filmed with my go pro, so that was cool. Also the 3rd dive had some jelly fish remains that were stinging us occasionally, since I didn't have a wet suit on I got stung a bit more. Nevertheless, it was fun, and I'm glad I got certified. I look forward to diving in some cool places :)

I'm advanced in both PADI and NAUI.

My suggestion is this: Before you start off tomorrow, research "DIR diving" tonight and see if you want to get into that instead. DIR is a completely different style of diving using a backplate/wing and standardized equipment - and provides extra safety. I started off conventional, but if I had to do it over I would absolutely start with DIR - otherwise you have to unlearn some bad habits.

The main benefit of DIR is safety. The second benefit is freedom - with DIR you're naturally horizontally oriented, where with conventional you're vertically orientated and all the cool stuff to look at are below your feet.

On DIR and Other Religious Subjects ( a joke )
Warning: Politically Incorrect
I converted to DIR ( "Doing It Right" ) about 6 months ago and I have found that the philosophy extends way beyond diving. I think most people tend to view DIR as a gear configuration or diving objective type of thing but it really is a philosophy that you can use in other parts of your life. For instance, below are just some of the ways I've extended the DIR way of doing things into other areas of my life.

Last week some of my buddies came over to my house. Now, not all of them are divers but they do understand the DIR philosophy. So, first off, we all drink the same beer. This avoids any situations where you might be enjoying a lager and accidentally pick up an ale ( or the other way around. ) That can be very uncool. That could quickly lead to a panic situation so we avoid it all together. We also drink only from cans, not bottles. And we never put the beer in the refrigerator. It always goes in the ice chest in my living room. 47% of Drinking Related Incidents (DRI ) occur when someone is going to the fridge for another beer, so better to be safe than sorry. Of course, this is all rigged up while we're still 100% sober so there's no impaired judgment once things get cooking.

All of us wear a bungie necklace with a full beer on it just in case someone experiences an Out Of Beer ( OOB ) emergency. I can offer my already opened beer to my buddy and simply reach down and grab the backup off my beer necklace. And, without exception, we always use the 7-foot hose on the beer bong.

Of course, we don't stay in every night, so when we do decide to go out we make sure we're stillDIR. All of us wear exactly the same clothing:

• Levi's 501 Jeans, black ( button hole, straight leg )
  • Gap Black T-shirt
  • Haynes boxer shorts, black
  • Gold Toe socks, black
  • Kenneth Cole shoes, Brad Bitt style, black
  • G-Shock watch, black band
  • Nylon belt, black, with military buckle
  • Black Leather Jacket ( optional, depending on weather conditions )
This may sound a bit silly or overdone but believe me, when you're penetrating a night club, knowing exactly what you buddies are dressed like can make all the difference in the world if you're hoping to snag some hottie. Let's say I see some cutie and just before I get up to go talk to her a waitress spills a drink in my lap? No problem, because I can always swap pants with my buddy. I don't have to worry if they match, because I know he's wearing Levi's 501's. Bam! Swap pants and I can still complete my objective.

One thing to keep in mind about nightclubs is that you seldom want to penetrate a club on beer. I know, some of the macho jerks do this and brag to all of their buddies. Believe me, it's not DIR. You have to do it on mixed drinks. Obviously the mix will be different on different nights but a good vodka tonic mix is pretty standard. Again, there's a right way and a wrong way to do this. You can't just order any old vodka or depend on some bartender to get the mix right. That's what the strokes do. No, you order Stoli vodka, which has an excellent reputation in the DIR partying community. The correct blend is 2oz Stoli with tonic water poured over ice in a highball glass ( lemon or lime optional. ) I always bring a testing kit with me and if the blend is off, I send it back. It's just not worth the risk and it's not DIR.

So you penetrate the nightclub and you've got a good mix, now it's time to meet the ladies. I should have said this earlier but watch your drink consumption. It's a well-known fact that women look 25% - 30% better in a nightclub and if you get all narced up on vodka tonic, it increases your chances of a coyote ugly blackout. You have to keep your wits about you.

If it's early, you probably have pretty good viz. Later in the evening when the smoke silts up the room it'll be harder to make out the women on the other side of the club so get your headings early. On a few occasions I've had to bust out the wreck reel just to get to the bathroom and back.

If you are lucky enough to hook up with a nice hottie, this is when doing it right really can pay off. Now, let's face it, there's a certain degree of danger involved here that I don't want to downplay. You need to minimize your risks by using the proper equipment. I carry 2 condoms. One I put on my - well you know, and the second I put on a bungee that goes around my waist. If there's a malfunction on my primary, I can quickly go to my backup without skipping a beat.

So, as you can see from these pretty basic examples, DIR is not just for diving. It's something you can use in all areas of your life.

Keep it real.

Hello all!

Tomorrow I start my 3 day long open water scuba diving course. I wanted to see who else on here has their diving certificate, any advice, and any good scuba diving spots in the southern east coast area would be appreciated.

Also, what equipment would you recommend for a beginner? Everything for my training will be provided, but I want to go ahead and look into getting some equipment for after training so I don't have to rely on renting.

If you are going to scuba as a new hobby, you will want own gear. Learn about gear and don’t let a scuba shop hard sell you. There are good buys on good used equipment once you learn what and how to buy. If a scuba shop tells you used gear Is dangerous, ask them why the service equipment instead of throwing it in the trash. Life time free parts warranties are a suckers deal unless you are going to dive a lot. There is a high percentage that learn to dive, buy equipment and quit diving within 3 years.

I dive steel tanks, buddy Al. I've never been bitten by a trigger fish, buddy has twice, once leaving a lasting scar around his nipple.

Dive steel.

(Both bites came from a trigger on a spear... These weren't unprovoked.)

I can clear my ears just by swallowing the right way. In my first open water classes, my instructor kept bawling me out for not clearing. So I learned to put my hand up to my mask and pretend just to shut him up.

Best way to do it is like deon mentions: "constantly", that way the difference in pressure never builds up enough to hurt. Once you get the hang of it, it gets easier. Now, I can put my head down and swim straight to the bottom and keep clear without even thinking about it.

Advanced open water. Certified in 1985 on Okinawa so I was spoiled. Dives I've made since then don't even compare.

Advanced open water. Certified in 1985 on Okinawa so I was spoiled. Dives I've made since then don't even compare.

Not surprising if you're diving in Arizona. :)

How does Okinawa compare with some place like Bonaire?

Never been to Bonaire but I've seen lots of pictures and I'd say Okinawa is right up there with it. I have to dive in the Gulf of California if I'm going to dive around here close. I went on a boat dive to San Carlos a couple of years ago and the best thing about it was the onboard fresh fish tacos and the sea lions. I'd never dove with them before. Otherwise, I was unimpressed.

I was going to start a new thread that I have now joined the ranks of PADI Open Water Certification, but saw this, and figured, hey why not necro this SOB?

While on the honeymoon in Jamaica, got a pool session and 4 dives in over the next two days to get a start in yet another pricey hobby!

Wife and kids are going to try and get it done this summer. Poor souls, having to wetsuit dive, while I got it done in 80º water down to 60'.
April started with me, but felt too rushed, and wanted to ease into it more, so she'll finish up here.

You did it right. My wife and I knocked it out in the Bahamas. I proposed underwater after our certification dive ended :)

@EdFred Now you have no excuse to not go to the Cayman's :D. Diving is a great family activity. I received my PADI Advanced OW in 1979 at 17 years of age along with my father. My mother and older brother followed the next year then my sister and younger brother later once they saw how much fun we were having. I would imagine diving in Michigan would be a bit chilly once you reach the thermocline...makes me shiver just thinking of it!

Done it off and on since 2019. I own mask, fins, snorkel and rent everything else. Have dove Caymans and Cozumel in the Caribbean.

My only recommendation is to add on peak performance buoyancy and advanced open water as soon as possible; AOW opens up dives to 30m depth vs 18M with basic open water. My last dive was a wreck dive, that was in 80ft of water; couldn’t do that without AOW.

Done it off and on since 2019. I own mask, fins, snorkel and rent everything else. Have dove Caymans and Cozumel in the Caribbean.

My only recommendation is to add on peak performance buoyancy and advanced open water as soon as possible; AOW opens up dives to 30m depth vs 18M with basic open water. My last dive was a wreck dive, that was in 80ft of water; couldn’t do that without AOW.

Yeah, that will happen after she gets her OW. No point in getting it without having a dive buddy.

Congrats! Diving is an amazing hobby. My wife and youngest son are PADI OW certified and our middle son and I are AOW certified. We returned from Jamaica two days ago and 5 more of our family are now OW certified.

For wreck diving, Advanced is worth it. For everything else OW is fine. The colors are better and you use less air at ~40-60' depths. Agree on the buoyancy add-on. I haven't taken it but through trial and error I've gotten it figured out and it's nice. It took me a while.

I highly recommend the Lionfish specialization if you're into that kind of thing. Adds an entertaining factor, improves the health of the reef, and they are delicious.

I bought full gear and don't regret it. It's only about 2.5 AMU :). We appreciate having the same equipment on every dive. No more dealing with a mouth piece that is nearly bitten off, a depth gauge that you realize during the dive is in metric not feet, and vests that are not adjusted to fit comfortably. All can be overcome, but predictability and consistency are nice.

The next piece of equipment I’ll buy will be a dive computer. There’s so much variability you get with rental stuff that it’s just easier to learn your own stuff.

I don’t dive often enough to justify everything else. Tanks and weights would be the last thing I bought simply because you’re not going to haul that crap back and forth on the airlines or in the Comanche.

The next piece of equipment I’ll buy will be a dive computer. There’s so much variability you get with rental stuff that it’s just easier to learn your own stuff.

Yes, we bought dive computers with integrated air (IA) but IA only makes sense if you have your own regulator. We didn't buy and don't plan to buy tanks or weights.

Oh, all Carib trips will be based on what the diving is like. :D

That does tend to happen lol.

Congrats on the certifications!

I took all of the kids down to South FL and got them certified when they were young, my youngest daughter at 11. She was a little behind the others in class, but got there, and we did a nurse shark dive and shallow wreck dive to erase the fear right off the bat.
She loved it. Then went off on a trip to the Turks and Caicos without me! lol

And yes.. another batch of expense, training and equipment, but it's been worth it for me over the years.

Last edited:
As I posted up-thread back in 2017 (necro thread indeed!), I'm certified through Rescue with PADI, and I'm certified Full Cave with IANTD. I've been away from diving for a while though and would like to get back to it one of these days. @2-Bit Speed got his OW cert while he was in high school and he and I dove together a bit, which was fun, but he's living too far away now.

...18M with basic open water...
Wow. My first dive after basic in '93 was a 90 foot wreck. I've been 90-100 about a dozen times. Never knew of the 60 foot limit :eek:

Wow. My first dive after basic in '93 was a 90 foot wreck. I've been 90-100 about a dozen times. Never knew of the 60 foot limit :eek:

That’s a PADI thing. Some dive operators care to check, some don’t.

Same. Certified at 10 years old. First dive after certification, 80 ft wreck off of Pensacola. Parents were back at the hotel. No one batted an eye.
Last summer, dive charter wanted to review my logbooks to “ok” me for a 100 ft dive. Master Diver with over 3000 hrs of bottom time, but sure - review away. Times have changed!

I don't remember that limitation when I got my certification about 10 years ago... When @Half Fast and I went diving together, we were 60' down in the Atlantic almost every dive. I certainly didn't consider that to be the limit of my certification though...

Unrelatedly, I've been considering getting back in the water and pursuing a wreck-diving certification. It seems like it could be a lot of fun.

I was going to start a new thread that I have now joined the ranks of PADI Open Water Certification, but saw this, and figured, hey why not necro this SOB?

Completely forgot that I started this thread. Need to go scuba diving, been way too long.

wow, talk about an old thread re-boot!

About the 60ft limit
It's really not a limit such as something written in the FAR's....maybe a little more like something you'd read in the AIM. I think it was intended to be "your training is such that you can go right now down to 60 and should be safe. Suggest you go do a few dives like that and get experience...and when you're ready and willing, go stretch it a bit in a careful and controlled way to expand your experience.
I get the sense though...that in a similar way to how language evolves, it has become or is becoming to be considered like more of a rule..... I think at least in part driven by the training agencies and schools becasue tehy make $$ when you take more classes....

I haven't dove in a long time, but was 1st certified back in 1994, SSI...eventually went all the way to their now obsolete certification level of Divecon...which was a combination of what most called a Dive Master + Assistant Instructor. Did nitrox along the way through IANTD back when that was a technical diving thing, not condoned by the recreational agencies...and sometime round about 23 years ago did all the technical certs through full trimix.... still before the recreational agencies was doing any of that stuff....

Earlier this year I was seriously toying with the idea of doing a family vacation with a purpose this summer, before my oldest sets off for college...signing my kids up and wife if she's willing for an open water cert class and I would do a "scuba skills refresher" class along with them. Basically auditing their class....then go do a few dives together. I even found a local shop/school willing to do it....(although I really wish I could find a great all inclusive type resort down in the keys someplace to do it all at a "destination")
Wife put a stop to the idea because we are already spending a bunch of money this summer taking the family to Europe. She's right as always.... so maybe next summer.....

My first instructor was a Navy diver too...

Is it weird that I remember writing my earlier response to this thread but I'm still in denial it was over five years ago? No, it was like last month, right?

Regarding depth limits - I've only seen a few places where they even mention it and no idea if they check log books. Still, you wanna dive to 100 if you've never been past 60? Not smart.

That's enough for the next five years.

Certified PADI in 1972 (as a Jr Diver since I was 12 at the time, but I passed the entire Sr. course). Went back at 18 to get the full certification (which was promised) and nobody knew anything about it. Take the whole course over. Since I was diving with my dad-who did get certified in 1972 and had been diving longer than the instructor by a wide margin- I never bothered to go back He could get the tanks filled and checking cards wasn't a thing except at a few State parks. Got certified SSI in 2019. Instructor gave me his cell and said anytime I wanted a dive buddy call him.

I never bothered to log dives until the SSI certification. There's nobody else in my family who SCUBA dives at this point so I haven't really gotten restarted.

John

Is it weird that I remember writing my earlier response to this thread but I'm still in denial it was over five years ago? No, it was like last month, right?

Regarding depth limits - I've only seen a few places where they even mention it and no idea if they check log books. Still, you wanna dive to 100 if you've never been past 60? Not smart.

That's enough for the next five years.
You can dive by yourself as deep as you want. But I think most instructors and DMs who care about keeping their affiliations will care. Even in Mexico, the shop we dive with insisted my son stay above 40' because he was Jr. OW.

Back